WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-red01, ww color red

Local

Surprise Fire Threat? Clogged Chimneys

View Comments
(credit: CBS) Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield
Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield never imagined she'd be in the Tw...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. It’s Nat’l Cheeseburger Day, So Here Are Our Favorites
  2. Lawyer: Peterson Case Would've Been More Difficult To Defend In MN
  3. Finding Minnesota: The Feline Fun House
  4. Good Question: What's The Best Way To Discipline Kids?
  5. Mpls. Pop Up Parks Taking Part In Nat’l Recycling Campaign

HUDSON, Wis. (WCCO) – It’s a winter household hazard that can be tough for the eye to see, and if you miss it, it can be costly or even deadly.

Now’s the time to prevent it.

Clogged chimneys can cause fires this time of year. A family in Hudson, Wis., had one just last night, as build-up in the chimney was the impetus. Luckily, as smoke poured into the room, they got out.

St. Paul Police Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said chimney fires can be especially difficult to fight.

Kerry Langer said her daughter were finishing Halloween preps and that she and her fiancé Richard Slater were close by when a fire erupted in their chimney.

“We heard a loud bang, and all the sudden smoke started filling up the room,” Slater said. “If the fire department didn’t get there in the time they did, it could have spread into the attic and burned the whole house down.”

Eventually, the family got out, cat included.

Chimney clean outs are recommended each year and now is prime time to do so seeing fireplaces will be lighting up as temps go down.

“Definitely — every year get your chimney inspected and cleaned,” Langer said.

Firefighters said these are dangerous fires to fight because the fire travels up then leaks into the attic, and they have to cut a hole in the roof to fight it.

What you can do: Shine a flashlight up your chimney, if you see black gooey substance, that could be a hazard and you should get a professional cleaner out.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,860 other followers