Health Department: Harmful Vapor Entering SE Minneapolis Homes
CBS Minnesota (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSMinnesota.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSMinnesota.com/Health
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Health officials said Thursday a harmful vapor is potentially entering homes and buildings in parts of Minneapolis, and it’s raising health concerns for residents.
The Minnesota Department of Health and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency sent letters on Wednesday to residents in the Como neighborhood of southeast Minneapolis to alert them of the issue. The vapor in question is trichloroethylene, known as TCE. It was previously used as an industrial solvent at a General Mills research facility on Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis from the 1940s to the 1960s.
Officials said more testing needs to be done to determine how harmful the vapors are. They said preliminary testing of TCE levels earlier this month prompted the alert to residents.
People who live in the Como neighborhood of Minneapolis and have questions are encouraged to attend one of two community meetings on the issue. They will both be at the Van Cleve Recreational Center, one from 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. and another from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12.
Those who wish to have their property tested for TCE levels can do so for no cost by attending one of the meetings.