WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-white01, ww color white

Local

10 Sent To Hospital Due To Carbon Monoxide Leak

View Comments
(credit: CBS) Rachel Slavik
Rachel Slavik joined the WCCO team in October of 2010 and is thrill...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. WCCO Interview: Girl Behind 'Simon Says Give'
  2. Premeditated Murder Charges Dropped In Waseca Plot Case
  3. 4 Things To Know For 7/29
  4. Lakeville Firefighters Shave Heads For Girl Undergoing Chemo
  5. Polaris Debuts New Slingshot Motorcycle

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A carbon monoxide leak forced several families out of a northeast Minneapolis apartment building.

Ten people went to the hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. No one is in serious or critical condition.

The Minneapolis Fire Department got the call for help just before 8 p.m. Saturday night at the building, located on the 1800 block of Central Avenue NE. Authorities believe a problem with the furnace caused the leak.

Diono Alvin, who lives in one of the units, said that he, his fiancé, and two daughters were just finishing dinner when his carbon monoxide alarm went off.

His entire family showed symptoms of CO poisoning. All felt dizzy or nauseated and went to the hospital where they were treated with oxygen.

Alvin said those symptoms had been ongoing for several days, but it didn’t occur to him that carbon monoxide could be to blame.

The alarm, that alerted him of the problem, was installed last week. He doesn’t want to think about the outcome had it not been in his apartment.

“I don’t even want to think about it, because I just got that carbon monoxide detector three to four days ago. If me and my kids went to sleep, we wouldn’t be here,” Alvin said.

Alvin said the furnace problems are among the ongoing issues inside the apartment building.

“I expect to be safe. I feel upset. I feel frustrated. I feel very frustrated,” Alvin said.

Residents have been told they can’t return home until the source of the carbon monoxide leak is fixed.

A call to the landlord has not yet been returned.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus