Dog Eats Plate Of Wings At Super Bowl Party, Undergoes Surgery
Get Breaking News First
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A night of football and buffalo wings could give anybody indigestion, but for a Minnesota dog, it created a dangerous situation.
Logan, a 9-year-old golden retriever from Maple Grove, is lucky to be alive after eating chicken wings, part of a football, and a whole lot more, at a Super Bowl party.
His human family members noticed something was wrong the morning after he’d gotten into the chicken wings, which had been left unattended at the party.
“His stomach had expanded,” said Jerry Hudy, Logan’s owner. “He looked like he was pregnant, twice the size.”
The Hudys then rushed Logan to their local veterinarian who then referred the family to BluePearl Veterinary Clinic. It was a trip that may have saved Logan’s life.
A series of X-rays showed that Logan’s stomach had turned over, cutting off the blood supply and filling with gas. It’s a condition called gastric dilatation and volvulus, and it’s a deadly problem for some big dogs.
Dr. Heather Hadley performed emergency surgery on Logan.
“We pass a little needle, attach the suction, deflate the stomach, and then actually de-rotate it,” she said.
During the procedure, Hadley removed a rock, chicken bones, and some leather from a football that Logan had been chewing on.
Now, Logan and his family have some ugly souvenirs, and a check-up appointment Thursday showed that the furry chicken wing fan is now healthy.
However, the game plan for next Super Bowl might be different.
“I think we’re gonna go to other peoples’ places for super bowl parties,” Hudy said.