WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-green01, ww color green

Local

Family Uses Charcoal Grill For Heat, Suffers CO Poisoning

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. Frank, Rosie, Amelia & Chris Take On Mega-Putt
  2. 4 Things To Know For 8/27
  3. Young Wolves Get Big Welcome At The Fair
  4. Learn About Minnesota's Wine Country At State Fair
  5. Good Question: What Draws Someone To Terrorism?

TOWN OF ARCADIA, Wis. (AP/WCCO) — Sheriff’s officials say 13 people were overcome by carbon monoxide when a charcoal grill was used inside a home in Trempealeau County.

Dispatchers received a call about an unknown medical condition at a home in the Town of Arcadia late Sunday afternoon. First responders found seven adults and five children suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide. Some were unconscious.

“I looked and saw Officer Hanes come out of the house and drop to the ground and start vomiting and start gasping for air. That’s when I knew we had a medical issue and I ran to the house,” Arcadia Fire Chief Jeff Halvorsen.

Authorities say a police officer who responded was also overcome and was treated and released from a local hospital. Three helicopters and five ambulances were dispatched to the scene to transport the injured.

Most of the victims are now out of the hospital.

Investigators say it appears the occupants were using the grill in the kitchen for heat. They reported the family was using the grill after running out of propane.

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,811 other followers