Heading To The Twins Home Opener? Here’s What You Need To Know
Buy Twins Tickets
Twins CentralShop for Twins Gear
Buy Twins Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It’s finally here — the day many winter-weary Minnesotans have been counting down to for months: the Minnesota Twins Home Opener at Target Field.
Members of the Twins organization were up bright and early Monday serving free breakfast to fans from 6 to 9 a.m. outside Target Field, and the event brought out thousands.
They had 3,000 hot dogs and brats on hand, and they went through almost all of them. Fans didn’t even have to get out of their cars to enjoy a free breakfast. The team set up a drive through along 7th Street, and all people had to do was roll down the window to get their goodies.
“Breakfast on the plaza is something we can do to thank the fans for being loyal and a great way to kick off the home opener here at Target Field,” said Chris Illes with the Minnesota Twins.
“I just came here to drive through and support the Twins on opening day,” said one fan.
“I’m coming to get breakfast on the plaza. Today’s my dad’s birthday and he did this every day for as long as I can remember,” another fan said.
But before you hit the ballpark, let us help you plan your day. Here’s a list of Opening Day events.
1 p.m.: Gates open — Twins legends will ceremonially open their respective gates — Bert Blyleven will represent fellow Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew at Gate 3, Tony Oliva will open Gate 6, Kent Hrbek will be at Gate 14, Tom Kelly will represent Rod Carew at Gate 29 and Kirby Puckett, Jr. and Catherine Puckett will represent Kirby Puckett to open Gate 34.
2:30 p.m.: Local a cappella group (and Season 4 champions of The Sing-Off) Home Free will perform a pregame set on the field.
The National Anthem will be performed by local singer, Thomasina Petrus.
The ceremonial first pitch will be thrown by Minneapolis-based actor, Barkhad Abdi (“Captain Phillips”). Following the first pitch, fans can meet Abdi in the new Twins Digital Clubhouse in the U.S. Bank Home Run Porch.
Before the game begins …
– Both teams will be introduced along the foul lines.
– A giant flag will be unfurled by Twins Season Ticket Holders and SuperAmerica representatives.
– The Hennepin County flag, American flag and Twins Territory flag will be raised.
– All fans will receive a 2014 Joe Mauer magnet schedule upon entering.
During the game …
– A ballpark-wide photo will be taken during the 3rd inning. To be a part of the photo, fans are encouraged to stay in their seats and then visit this site to find themselves and tag their friends.
– Children from Hope Kids will perform “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” in the 7th inning.
– Home Free will perform “God Bless America.”
– Players from both teams will be wearing a Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) patch on their uniforms, as a sign of support for Twins General Manager Terry Ryan and those impacted by cancer everywhere.