Mike’s Mix: Tangy Tamarind-Bourbon Lemonade
Every Friday, Mike Augustyniak picks up a new cocktail recipe from a local mixologist. This Friday, Mike shares a recipe from United Noodles, in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis. This week’s selection is called Tangy Tamarind-Bourbon Lemonade.
Tangy Tamarind-Bourbon Lemonade
For the cocktail:
• 2 oz Bourbon
• 1 oz Tamarind Syrup (recipe follows)
• 2 oz lemon juice
• 2 oz water
• Lemon wedge for garnish
1. Fill a tall glass with ice.
2. In a cocktail shaker (also filled with ice) combine the bourbon, tamarind syrup, lemon juice and water. Shake for 30 seconds.
3. Pour the cocktail into the prepared glass and garnish with a lemon wedge.
• 3/4 cup tamarind paste
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 cups water
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
2. Using a wooden spoon, break up the tamarind paste and stir until the syrup is completely combined.
3. Bring the syrup to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid thickens slightly.
4. Pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a heat proof jar.
5. Bring to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator.
6. Kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the syrup will stay fresh for two weeks.
Makes about 1 cup simple syrup.
The sure way to make this bourbon tangy is to use lemon juice instead of lemonade; less sugar equals more tang, but either will do. The tamarind simple syrup is a snap to make, and takes just 5 minutes. I like that the tamarind flavor is subtle and doesn’t overpower the flavor of the bourbon… so use a decent bourbon because you’re going to taste it! This is an easy an unique way to bring bourbon to your BBQ.
About United Noodles:
Offering the “True Tastes of Asia” since 1972, United Noodles stocks more than 8,000 products from 15 different countries – the widest selection in the Midwest. UniDeli, the store’s in-store deli, features authentic Chinese and Japanese cuisine, as well as a pop-up ramen shop on Mondays. United Noodles is located at 2015 East 24th Street near the Franklin Avenue Station on the Hiawatha light rail line. Learn more about the store and events at http://facebook.com/UnitedNoodles.