MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The State Fire Marshal’s Office says the cause of a December 2013 farmhouse fire in western Minnesota that left two children dead is undetermined.
The fire happened on Dec. 4, 2013, at a home in the town of Lucan, which is just west of Redwood Falls. The parents and several children made it out safely, but 7-year-old girl and 4-year-old boy died. They were later identified as Hazel Thooft and Isaiah Thooft.
Fire officials said the blaze likely started in the main family room of the home, but the cause of the fire couldn’t be determined because of two factors. The State Fire Marshal says it can’t rule out faulty electrical equipment related to an artificial Christmas tree, or a child playing with an ignition source, like a butane lighter or matches.
One firefighter was seriously hurt when a tanker truck drove over his legs. Seven fire departments responded to the scene.