Target Removes Tiny Carts From Stores After Parents Complain

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — After a slew of complaints online from parents who shop at target, Target is making a change.

According to several tweets from an official Twitter account, Target is removing the recently added “tiny carts” from 72 of its stores this week where they were being tested. The change comes after a slew of complaints from parents, who say the carts are difficult to manage and annoying in the hands of young children.

Most notably, one mom and blogger penned a tirade against the carts online, which was shared hundreds of times by frustrated moms and dads who shop at Target.

“This tiny, red thing, with wheels and a really cute flag that makes it look innocent but it’s actually there (admit it) to warn everyone close that whatever is at the bottom of that flag is bringing DANGER AND PAIN AND STRIFE and that they should run in the opposite direction,” wrote Laura Rinas, creator of the blog laughing without limits and a self-described “full-time mama, wife, business owner, woman of God.”

Other parents chimed in on Twitter:

Still, after the carts were removed some parents expressed disappointment.

On Twitter, @AskTarget told users they’re still determining what to do with the kid-sized carts.

Comments

1. Concerned about this says:

Wow can you people find anything else to complain about? Learn how to parent your kids or leave them at home. P.S. Yelling at them in the store is not only bad parenting but you make everyone around you uncomfortable.

2. dan w says:

If these people spent as much time parenting as they do on social media, they might have fun with their kids, even while shopping…

3. Linda says:

I worked at a grocery store that had these “kiddie carts” and the kids love them. I agree with Concerned about this and dan w. If you can’t control or watch your children you shouldn’t take them shopping with you. Also, if it’s too tough for you, just tell your kids “no” and don’t let them take a cart. Easy peasy.

1. dan w says:

Thank you Linda, I’m at the grandparent stage in life and “no” always worked when I was a kid, it worked when I raised my kids, and guess what, it still works with my grand kids. I appreciate your common sense!

I have always hated shopping, but I will say, if done right, every outing is more fun with the kids! My wife would get mad at me because I was more apt to go shopping with the kids than her, they were more fun. 🙃

4. S strand says:

Sell them as toys. It will help kids clean their rooms. Kids shoud be seen and not heard, was once a great way to have discipline, until the little ones were purposely engaged with adults. They do not need to be in the way of adult concentration of something as agonizing, as shopping.

1. dan w says:

“Kids should be seen and not heard”, that’s no fun at all. The best conversations I have these days are with kids, they’re loaded with ideas, they love to learn and they still have an honest sense of humor.

Some years ago, two young teachers and I took about 50 3rd and 4th graders on a two hour bus ride to St. Paul, in one day we visited the Capitol, The Science Museum and Como Zoo, we didn’t lose anybody, we didn’t break anything, I don’t think we upset anyone, unless they were one of those “kids should be seen and not heard” types, you know the ones…

That just might have been the most fun I have ever had! Even today, now that I’m in my grouchy, old, “get off my lawn” stage in life, I’d jump at the chance to do it again.

Kids really are the best people!

1. Latrese Mcgowan says:

Group of little kids? I am beginning to see why you like shopping at Target.

5. Latrese Mcgowan says:

People still shop at Target? Who knew?

1. dan w says:

Target is really the only place I ever shop, they have everything I need. Please don’t tell me you shop at Wal Mart…

6. Rikki says:

Walmart tried it and it didn’t work out. Target got a free trial and still went ahead. It’s blaming the tool not the tool user.

7. TargetIs4Pedos says:

Anyone who is still taking their children to Target should be reported the Child Services for probable child abuse.

8. Robert Denis says:

Great Idea removing the kid carts from the stores. If the decision maker at Target would have gone to either Trader Joe’s or any State Fair they would have seen the congestion the carts create.