HCSO Faces Backlash After Sending Deputies To Standing Rock

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A move by the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office to send deputies to the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in North Dakota has prompted an online petition demanding the department withdraw its forces.

On Sunday, images posted to social media showed Hennepin County bringing resources into the “Lakota Territory near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation.”

The pictures, which many found controversial, prompted a petition on Honor The Earth’s website calling for the withdrawal of Hennepin County forces from Standing Rock.

“Hennepin County Sheriff’s Department Special Operations units have been deployed to Standing rock to join in the violent repression of peaceful demonstrations to protect the water,” the petition said.

The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office has since responded, saying its office and others in Minnesota are responding to a request made through the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.

Read the entire statement below.

So far, the online petition has garnered nearly 2,000 signatures.

Standing Rock Sioux want construction of the pipeline — worth $3.8 billion — halted. They say it could taint water supply as well as encroach on tribal burial sites. The protests supporting the tribe and its mission have been going on for months.

Comments

1. Trump 2016 says:

Why does WCCO always give publicity to fake Democrat stories like this? It’s a non story. Hundreds of paid Democrat thugs are attacking pipeline workers, attacking conservative and independent journalists monitoring the protests. Where are the stories of the violence committed by these domestic terrorists? WCCO headline is a total fabricated lie. 2,000 brain dead paid Democrats signed a petition? Oh my! That’s a landslide, right? I hate Democrats and their paid terrorists with a passion.

1. mmosvick@hotmail.com says:

Trump 2016: “I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed!” … W.S.

2. Thomascine White Woman says:

Never have I been so proud to be a Native Democrat and will vote Democrat. Just your words alone instills racism to the core of white supremist thinking. You need to remember we were here first and this was Native country, God’s country where there was an abundance of natural resources that is now almost gone. God have pity on this man, forgive him for being judgemental and greedy. As a non-violent protester, I pray for your soul.

2. Trrump 2016 is a complete, unadulterated moron. Slacked jawed, mouth breathing knuckle dragging ass from The Deep North. Can not recognize truth when he sees it.

3. Fred says:

Glad to see us helping our neighbors in North Dakota. These pipeline protesters are criminals and belong in prison.

4. Zig Pope says:

Welcome to the fascist state of MN. Goodbye MN nice.

5. this is outrageous the minneapolis city council supports standing rock im signing the petetion

6. Mike Coxin says:

If they have so many staff members that they can afford to send some on vacation to north dakota, maybe they have to many staff members. The next time law enforcement whines about staffing shortages maybe this should be remembered.d

7. blsedbx3 says:

In other word they are sharing the 6 million that Crotchmeier asked the Emergency commission for . If it is approved .. which probably wont because they have been warned what he has been doing before approved to prove he needs it . It all comes down to 6 million.

8. We The Good People of Rock Ridge says:

So let me get this straight. If there was a forest fire somewhere most people don’t have a problem with outside help being needed. If there is a flood people don’t have a problem with the outside help needed. One of the articles I read on this story said that the Henn. county Sheriff’s department will be reimbursed for their help. So here it is in a nutshell. The local authorities where the protesting is taking place have asked for help. they are not asking for a hand out. but they would rather seek help before any of their staff, protesters, or bystanders get hurt.So basically what I would like to hear is what would you do to peacefully resolve the protesters issues? P.S. “If your found on my property at night, you Will be found on my property in the morning.” “If you burn or stomp on my flag, I Will Stomp on your face.” Have a nice day.

9. Laura Beth says:

There is no violence Trump 2016. No workers have been attacked. Water protectors have been attacked with mace, batons, and dogs but your whole post is a lie. From the first capital letter to the period at the end. Except perhaps your admittance of hatred. That part is probably true.

1. Brenda Mai says:

Please do a little more research before you post such garbage! The protesters have burnt the property of the companies and the National Guard (A felony, I believe, destroying Fed. property). They have cut fences, killed livestock, stolen haybales, etc. from the local farmers and ranchers. They have closed roads and have fired gunshots. I don’t call this protesting!

10. John Long says:

Laura Beth I have no idea where you get you information from. I live just 20 miles north of where this is happening and have friends that ranch, farm and live right by that area. What they tell me is the opposite of what is coming out of your mouth. When those so called protesters are threating them and when the law enforcement has to escort the school bus to school because the protesters have threatened the kids, then it has went from protesting to terrorizing.

11. Suzi Shearer says:

Minnesota land of 10,000 lakes, bordering Lake Superior sends Deputies to fight the Water Protectors. Let’s Boycott everything Minnesotan, until the bring their deputies home. Maybe they would like a oil pipeline in their state? I vacation in Duluth and Two Harbors every summer. Now I can’t see that…