After severe weather tore though Minnesota Sunday, the Minnesota Commerce Department is offering tips to Minnesotans affected by the storm.
Commerce Commissioner Mike Rothman offered the following tips:
- Notify your insurance company or agent as soon as you can to start the claims process.
- Make temporary inexpensive repairs to prevent further damage.
- Record the damage.
- If you need to relocate because of damage to your home, keep receipts for your temporary living expenses.
- Work with the insurance company adjuster.
- The adjuster will provide you with a proof-of-loss form.
- You have the right to choose which contractor will repair your home.
- Insist on detailed, written estimates for repairs.
- Prepare a written contract agreement with anyone you hire.
- Your homeowners insurance will generally cover removal of a fallen tree only if it caused damage to your house or other insured structure.
- Storm damage to your vehicle may be covered by your auto insurance.
- Contact the Minnesota Commerce Department if you have a problem with your insurance company or agent.
To see more tips on how to plan ahead and what to do after a disaster strikes, click here.