MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Sen. Al Franken announced Thursday morning that he intends to step down as Senator in the next few weeks, though his announcement isn’t sitting well with some who listened.

Lindsay Menz, one of the women who accused Franken of inappropriate conduct, told CNN that he grabbed her buttocks at the Minnesota State Fair in 2010.

Menz responded to Franken’s resignation speech by saying that she was disappointed by some of the comments that he made.

“I guess I’m a little disappointed by his statement. Just that he would continue to dismiss and put the allegations down,” she said.

In his speech, Franken took time to comment that he felt “there is some irony that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape that his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.”

He continued:

“Over the last few weeks a number of women have come forward to talk about how they felt my actions affected them. I was shocked, I was upset. But in responding to their claims, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation, because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that in fact I hadn’t done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true, others I remember very differently.”

Menz told CNN she wondered if Franken was referring to her when denying the allegations.

“I just feel bad that this is our culture. I feel bad that we’ve allowed men to behave this way,” she said, but added that she also feels bad that he is resigning. “I feel sad that he has to leave a job he’s passionate about.”

Comments (30)
  1. Con artist accusers are very funny. This was clearly a ploy to make Tina Smith his successor.

2. Sam Dennis says:

Franken is a serial sleazebag and foolishly believes his insane platitudes excuse his boorishness. He tried to make this into an ethics matter, but fortunately, most people know that is just a black hole for claims to die.

1. Kee Emosabe says:

sez the child molester Moore supporter

1. Really? You know, if ole Gloria would hand over the yearbook that supposedly has Roy’s signature on it, there would be a lot less controversy. Your buddy Al had a pic of his hands on a sleeping woman’s breasts- that’s called photographic evidence for those in Rio Linda.

1. Norma Witter says:

His hands were NOT on her breasts….he was air squeezing…it was crude, but in no way a crime or an assault, or groping….smfh!

3. Franken claims he’s innocent, yet says he’s quitting. But he hasn’t actually quit.

IF IF IF he’s really innocent, he must know that women often make false accusations, by first hand experience. So why is he assuming Trump is guilty? Pretty dumb, I’d say if he expects us to believe anything he says.

1. Trump admitted to it. I am also not a supporter of Franken, but Trump is recorded as bragging about his behavior! Get your facts straight!

1. Tommy Watson says:

Speaking of getting your facts straight: Trump said that when you’re rich and famous, women LET you grab them. Whether or not that’s true, that is exactly what he said. If someone lets you do something, consent is implied.

4. “This decision is not about me” ROTFLMAO! As if!

5. Why is he not stepping down IMMEDIATELY??? I guess he’s just too important. Hasn’t learned a thing!

6. Roger Jones says:

I have little doubt that what Franken has done has been long accepted behavior. I imagine he knows famous guys that have done a lot worse. I expect that he believed what he has done is harmless flirting, maybe even a complement or simple sign of affection. People do stuff like he is accused quite often. It is not my personal culture, but look at our subscription entertainment. It is full of casual crudeness, foul language, nudity, and sex. Bars and clubs in this country have more than few of guys and gals that are casual gropers every night. I expect that many people have treated it as normal and acceptable until very recently.. Women press their breasts against guys, slap and grab guys butts and press themselves against guys junk too.

7. David Faust says:

Al Franken is quoted elsewhere saying (speaking of groping and assaulting women): “Its my right because I’m an entertainer.”

Where but on the Left is this kind of flippant, arrogant predation and assault okay? Answer – nowhere. And it is especially despicable because the leftist, liberal perpetrators directly use their power, pretige and position to ensure their victims are at a huge disadvantage and in a position of fear and weakness. This is exactly how lions like their prey in the wild, and it is exactly how Weinstein and Franken and other leftist perverts like their prey in Hollywood and D.C.

Despicable.

1. WRONG! You are thinking about HARVEY WEINSTEIN. Or if you think you can buttress your assertion, provide an URL to a bonafide source. Thank you

8. Mickey Aggie says:

Why would anyone resign over someone alleging that he grabbed her ass 7 years ago with no witnesses? And even if there were, so cares? Did she slap him? Yell at the time? Nope??? Shame on her….SHE has a mental problem. Get back to her blunt!

9. Al Franken blames his accusers, denies all wrongdoing, then attacks Trump??? His attacks on women continue. http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/

10. Stan Lister says:

guess she can go f(%$ herself.

11. David Moore says:

Jesse Ventura… Al Franken… What kind of character you got in mind this time, Minnesota?

1. Wexpat Guero says:

HeaddaLettuce orJeff Tambor I’m guessing

12. Typical sleazy, corrupt, vote-stealing democRat reprobate. Good riddance, Stewie Smalley!

13. Teddy Coral says:

” All the women that came forward are telling lies. I’m resigning though. I’m a champion of women! Moore molests children! Trump has a potty mouth! I’m out! **mic drop** ” What a moron.

14. Scott Angell says:

If this human dirtbag had a picture of Donald Trump groping a sleeping woman then he might have some cause for complaint but he doesn’t. What he does have is a ‘soiled blue dress’ that he kept his thick, rubbery, hebrew lips quiet about when it suited his dirty purposes.

15. Hey Al, why are you letting Kristen Gillabrand railroad you? She lambasted BJ Clinton’s accusers just one year ago during Hillary’s campaign and called them liars, among other things. Why isn’t she doing the same for you?

16. I’m not a resident of Minnesota and I’d strongly prefer the eligible voters of that state decide whether Al Franken should continue to serve as their senator. The resignation of any duly elected US Senator, member of Congress or any other elected should never be taken lightly. The release of a “joint”statement from a group of senators is inappropriate. Every senator has the ability to be heard in the chamber if he or she wants to put a statement about the matter on the record. Effectively he was run out of office by a mob of his supposed colleagues. They should be worried that they’ll receive similar treatment.

17. The metoomoocow needs to understand that by raising normal horseplay for his business to a national level she is doing a disservice to all women everywhere. For employment or enjoyment they will become nothing but festering sores. something to be avoided. Seriously, how can a statement like “20 years ago he kissed me and I didn’t want it” mean anything. Pure garbage. I certainly don’t like Franken but the cows who are accusing him are far worse people. Festering sores.

18. burnet1187 says:

When they resign in disgrace, they should not receive a pension!

19. Al sounds very whiney in this “speech”. Lorne Michaels must have been busy. The diff between Franken & Trump is that Donald doesn’t pander to the feminist cannibals who eat their own

20. Dee Bee says:

Stipulating Al Frankens’ frame of logic — Dems are saying that all Accused Congress folks should resign, so that they can pursue the ethics process effectively. But if they resign then the ethics process is probably done. Hmmm! Al did not grab this with both open palms.