Twins Great Harmon Killebrew

Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew Remembered
The Minnesota Twins remember Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew on May 17, 2011 at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Harmon Killebrew passed away on May 17, 2011 after a battle with esophageal cancer.
Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew Remembered
The Minnesota Twins remember Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew after his passing on May 17, 2011 at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Harmon Killebrew passed away on May 17, 2011 after a battle with esophageal cancer.
Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew Remembered
The Minnesota Twins remember Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew by outlining a Killebrew's number behind second base on May 17, 2011 at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Harmon Killebrew passed away on May 17, 2011 after a battle with esophageal cancer.
Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew Remembered
Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew Remembered
Fans have left flowers and notes at the base of Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew's statue at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota on May 17, 2011. Harmon Killebrew passed away on May 17, 2011 after a battle with esophageal cancer.
Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew Remembered
Harmon Killebrew
Behind their soft-spoken slugger nicknamed “The Killer,” the Twins reached the World Series for the first time in 1965 and back-to-back AL Championship Series in 1969 and 1970.
Harmon Killebrew
The 11-time All-Star was the American League’s Most Valuable Player in 1969 after hitting 49 home runs with 140 RBIs and 145 walks, all team records that stand to this day.
Harmon Killebrew
Harmon Killebrew's eight seasons with 40 or more homers still is tied for second in league history to Babe Ruth.
Harmon Killebrew
Harmon Killebrew was signed at the age of 17 to a $30,000 contract in 1953.
Harmon Killebrew
Harmon Killebrew currently ranks 11th on the all-time homer list.
Harmon Killebrew Statue Unveiling
Harmon Killebrew and his Nita at the unveiling of his legend's statue outside of Target Field.
Harmon Killebrew Statue
Outside Gate 3 at Target Field is the Harmon Killebrew statue.
Harmon Killebrew Jersey In Dugout
Once new that Harmon Killebrew was ending his battle with cancer, the Minnesota Twins decided to hang Killebrew's jersey, No. 3, in their dugout. Now they plan to keep it there for every game for the rest of the season.
Harmon Killebrew Hitting
On June 3, 1967, Killebrew belted the longest home run in Met Stadium history, a shot that reached the second deck of the bleachers in the old park, some 500 feet from home plate.
Harmon Killebrew Headshot
Harmon Killebrew never worried much about his short game, preferring instead to swing for the fences, and wound up with a career .256 average.
Harmon Killebrew Autograph
Harmon Killebrew was known for his legible autograph and even told younger players to take pride in their autographs.
(credit: CBS)
(credit: Harmon Killebrew Foundation)
Harmon Killebrew With Kids At Miracle Field
The Harmon Killebrew Foundation has helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for many charitable organizations across the country including the Minnesota Twins Community Fund and Miracle Leagues of Minnesota.
(credit: Harmon Killebrew Foundation)
Harmon Killebrew At The Plate
The man whose silhouette inspired Major League Baseball’s official logo was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1984, the first Twin to be enshrined.
Harmon Killebrew
Harmon Killebrew hit 573 home runs and made 11 All-Star appearances during his 22-year career, spent mostly with the Washington Senators and the Twins.
(credit: CBS)
Harmon Killebrew (credit: CBS)
(credit: CBS)
Harmon Killebrew (credit: CBS)
(credit: CBS)
Harmon Killebrew (credit: CBS)
Harmon Killebrew
The Minnesota Twins broadcasting crew with Harmon Killebrew.
Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva, Herb Carneal and Dave Lee
Dave Lee, Harmon Killebrew and John Gordon
Harmon Killebrew
Dave Lee, Harmon Killebrew and John Gordon on Opening Day 2011.
(credit: CBS)
(credit: Hannah Foslien /Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Hall of Famer Rod Carew #29 and Harmon Killebrew of the Minnesota Twins at the Kirby Puckett statue unveiling prior to a game between the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins during the Twins home opener at Target Field on April 12, 2010 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
(credit: Hannah Foslien /Getty Images)
(credit: Hannah Foslien /Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew of the Minnesota Twins at the Kirby Puckett statue unveiling prior to a game between the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins during the Twins home opener at Target Field on April 12, 2010 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
(credit: Hannah Foslien /Getty Images)
(credit: Hannah Foslien /Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Kent Hrbek and Harmon Killebrew formerly of the Minnesota Twins have Twins' mascot T.C. point out a few features of the new ballpark prior to an exhibition game at Target Field on April 2, 2010 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Cardinals defeated the Twins 8-4.
(credit: Hannah Foslien /Getty Images)
(credit: A. Messerschmidt/Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Slugger Harmon Killebrew accepts an award at 2004 Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremonies July 25, 2004 in Cooperstown, New York.
(credit: A. Messerschmidt/Getty Images)
(credit: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew looks on at Clark Sports Center during the 2009 Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony on July 26, 2009 in Cooperstown, New York.
(credit: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
(credit: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Former MLB players Bill Mazeroski of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Ryne Sandberg of the Chicago Cubs, Orlando Cepeda of the San Francisco Giants, Harmon Killebrew of the Minnesota Twins, Eddie Murray of the Baltimore Orioles and Tony Perez of the Cincinnati Reds walk the field prior to the 79th MLB All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium on July 15, 2008 in the Bronx borough of New York City.
(credit: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
(credit: Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
COOPERSTOWN, NY - JULY 31: Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew attends the Baseball Hall of Fame Induction ceremony on July 31, 2005 at the Clark Sports Complex in Cooperstown, New York.
(credit: Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
(credit: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Former Twin great Harmon Killebrew waves to the crowd prior to throwing out the first pitch before a game between the Minnesota Twins and the New York Yankees during game three of the American League Divisional Series on October 8, 2004 at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
(credit: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
(credit: Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
National League All-Star Barry Bonds #25 of the San Francisco Giants greets with fellow 500 Home Run club member Harmon Killebrew during the Major League Baseball 2004 Century 21 Home Run Derby at Minute Maid Park on July 12, 2004 in Houston, Texas.
(credit: Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
(credit: Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)
Harmon Killebrew
Henry "Hank" Aaron, Reggie Jackson, Harmon Killebrew, Frank Robinson and Mark McGwire all members of the 500 home run club before the Major League Baseball Century 21 Home Run Derby at Minute Maid Park on July 12, 2004 in Houston, Texas.
(credit: Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)
Categories: Photo

Latest Galleries

Vikings Beat Panthers, 22-10The Minnesota Vikings beat the Carolina Panthers 22-10 Sunday to improve to 3-0 on the season.
Flooding Amid Torrential Rains - Sept. 21, 2016Heavy rain flooded homes, closed major highways and stranded motorists on Wednesday, Sept. 21, with as much as 8 to 10 inches of rain falling in the Twin Cities area.
Vikings Beat Packers, 17-14The Minnesota Vikings opened U.S. Bank Stadium Sunday night by hosting their biggest rival, the Green Bay Packers. The Vikings won 17-14.
Castle Danger Brewery In Two Harbors
Vikings Beat Titans, 25-16The Minnesota Vikings started the 2016 season with a 25-16 win over the Titans on Sunday.
WCCO Radio And MN Hospital At The FairCheck out photos from WCCO Radio And MN Hospital At The Fair
WCCO Radio Sports HuddleSee all the photos
Vikings Open U.S. Bank StadiumVikings fans filled U.S. Bank Stadium on Sunday as they opened their new home with preseason football against the San Diego Chargers.

1. david says:

2. Joanne says:

Fifty years ago I made my mother take me to the Heights Theater to see a movie, but the bonus was Harmon Killebrew was going to be there!! She didn’t know who you were but I insisted that we go there to see you. You are one of the greatest of all times! Thanks for the memories.

3. Glenn says:

What a class Act…I consider myself fortunate to have grown up when you played the game…a role model then and a role model now.

4. doug says:

It was great watching you play and how you still interacted with baseball and the Twins. God bless you and your familydoug

5. Elizabeth Winkel says:

Hello, my Father, Terry Winkel, sold the tickets back in the days of the Met, we went to see the Twins, I remember you and the other players as true sportsman, not in it for the fame and money, but for the love of the game. Thank you for that, and for being a wonderful person, you will never be forgotten.

6. Michael J. Powers says:

Harmon, I want to thank you for all the years of delight you gave to us Baseball fans! But most importantly, thank you for being the best example of what a Baseball player should be. You are humble, caring, quiet, yet strong. You lead me into adulthood with those traits and have never let us down! May God caress you and keep you in your loving hands!

7. John Wazlawik says:

Harmon,
    I can’t think of another person who I would rather have on my team, both on the field and in life. You always had time for the little guy and are the classiest player in Minnesota history. You always worried about others, as you list of achievements grew. It was never about Harmon. I was saddened when I heard the news yesterday, that your cancer had progressed to the point of hospice care. I have lost two dear friends, in the last few months to the beast, and understand what you are dealing with. Please know that my prayers are with you, Nita and your family

8. Lois says:

Harmon Killebrew, bless your heart!! YOU were my mother’s (no longer with us) all-time favorite player…and you helped two elderly to enjoy the time together.
    You have our best wishes for help.

9. Mary Louise says:

Hello Mr Killebrew,
    I just heard the TV broadcast regarding your illness and wanted you to know there may be another option open to you.
    My family and I have both had personal experience with treatment at the Bio Medical Ctr, otherwise known as the Hoxsey Clinic, originally operating out of Texas but forced out of the US by the AMA many years ago. They cure cancer at Hoxsey. My father and my sister both were cured. Dad had prostate cancer and doctors suggested surgery and the other “traditional treatments”. He did the Hoxsey treatment and was cancer free in a few months..no radiation, surgery or chemo etc. His doctors were baffled. My sister has cured two 3rd or 4th stage melanomas on her legs,without any surgeries as her US doctors recommended. I don’t recall exactly which stage she was at, as its been awhile but, I know it was at least 3rd.. I’m sure she would be grateful to talk to you if you’re interested in knowing more about her experiences and recovery. Or, there is a book available online called “You Don’t Have To Die”, written by Harry Hoxsey I believe.
    I don’t know at what “stage” you are but, its a very simple, pleasant process to get to the clinic in Tijuana and be checked by some of the finest doctors on this planet . The great part is it can only help. It won’t make your condition any worse. If its too late to effect a cure for you, they will tell you. The time it takes to fly to San Diego (unless you already live in CA), climb aboard a van, at a specific hotel in SanYsidro which will take you through the border, quickley, (no red tape) and pick you up when you’re done and drive you back to your hotel, you may decide is well worth the effort.
    I truly believe in this clinic/ treatment because anyone I’ve known , or know of, has been cured provided they follow the plan, which is an herbal tonic along with a specific diet, carefully. Its quite easy and non-invasive. The cancer is cured from the inside out.
    If you want to know more, feel free to email me and I can give you their phone number. The clinic always answers the phone and will give you helpful advice.
    If you are too ill to travel, I hope that the coming weeks wont be too difficult for you. I don’t know you but, have heard your name, many times, during my lifetime, and certain you are loved by many. I certainly wish you well.
    Sincere regards,
    Mary Louise

10. Jennifer McCarney says:

Harmon,
    I was beyond saddened to hear the news. I have been praying for a call or e-mail from my dad telling me that you beat cancer.
    Meeting you was not only a blessing for myself, but my family as well. We cherish what you do not only for the community but for the game of baseball. Harmon, not only are you known as the “Killer”, you are known as a man who at 74 continues to give back to the game he loves so much.
    May you be blessed with friends and family by your side, pulling for you every second of the day!
    Jennifer McCarney

11. Debbie says:

A Legend Forever

Rest in peace

12. dennis.agar says:

I’m sure God has gathered you in his arms Harmon and called a meeting of the greats; not only for your skill on the diamond, but your skill as a fine human being.

God loves you, we certainly did down here.
    A Fan

13. Jim Boening says:

A warm summer evening in front of our black and white TV listening to Herb and Halsey.Harmon steps up and blasts a homer……Thank-you God for Harmon and those fond memories.

14. Kenny & Darlene Nelson says:

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for sharing such a talented, and caring man with us all.

Our deepest sympathy to the family, friends and fans of Harmon Killebrew.

15. Andy Anderson says:

I still remember going to the twins with my brother and grandfather in 1968 for a doubleheader on Sat and Sunday.Grandpa brought 2 team pictures and we went on the field to get autographs from the players.Harmon told me that he will hit a homerun for me,made my day when he hit 3 homeruns that day

16. Chick says:

Will always remember how they used to televise the ballgames with the camera from behind and above. Harmon steps up, two practice swings,bat ready,THERE SHE GOES over the left field fence. How we all loved that Killebrew trot around the bases and the handshakes from his coach and team mates. Thankyou for being you.

17. Hari says:

My Twin brother is 36 and wheelchairbound. I’ve gotten choked up everytime I see that wheelchair accessible baseball field. That field is equally a gift to the siblings of the person in the wheelchair because they get to play with thier sibling and not spill thier brother or sister in the dirt. (My mom still doesn’t know about that.)