Two people from Minnesota face charges accusing them of working to aid the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), the United States Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday.
Extremist groups like Al-Shabaab and ISIS have recruited more than two dozen fighters from Minnesota. Now the federal government is stepping in to try and help stop those recruitment efforts. Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson was at Minneapolis’ Brian Coyle Community Center Friday
Douglas McCain was not the first Minnesotan radicalized and recruited to fight in a foreign land. In recent years, Minnesota has become a place where terrorist organizations recruit young people to fight jihad.
In 2008, Abdurizak Bihi’s 17-year-old nephew left his home in Minneapolis for terrorist group Al-Shabaab in Somalia. In 2009, the teenager was killed.
Minneapolis’ Somali-American community is asking the state department for a full investigation into the assassination of a well-known lawmaker from Minnesota. Saado Ali Warsame was gunned down on a main street in Mogadishu Wednesday. Her driver was also killed.
A member of a Somali-American youth group in Minnesota says the federal government should fund programs to prevent youth from being recruited into terrorist groups. Mohamed Farah is president of Ka Joog, a Somali youth group in Minnesota.
Local Somali leader Abdirizak Bihi will lead an anti-al-Shabaab rally at 2 p.m. Friday at the Brian Coyle Center, sharing the Somali community’s detest for the terrorist group that preys on, and recruits young Somali-Americans in the Twin Cities.
The FBI is investigating to see if Minnesotans and Americans were involved in the terrorist attack at a Kenya mall. But so far FBI Agent Kyle Loven said there is no specific evidence that Minnesotans were part of the attack.
It’s been two days since reports surfaced that al-Shabaab released the names of the Nairobi mall attackers on Twitter. Two of the names listed were from Minnesota, but questions still remain.
In an interview with PBS NewsHour, Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamad told Margaret Warner about the Minnesota connection with attackers involved in the Kenyan mall attack. Mohamad confirmed that “two or three Americans” and “one Brit” were involved. “From the information we have, [they] are young men about…between maybe 18 and 19…of Somali origin or Arab origin,” Mohamad said. “[They] lived in the U.S. in Minnesota and one other place.” Members of the Twin Cities’ Somali-American community were already concerned when unconfirmed reports of attackers being from Minnesota surfaced on Sunday.
Students at St. John’s Prep School in Collegeville, Minn., are grieving the loss of three people killed in the mall attack in Nairobi.
The Somali community in Minnesota is doing everything it can to stop terror groups from recruiting men from the Twin Cities.
It’s well documented that foreign terror groups have been working to bring in new recruits. In fact, more than two-dozen young Somali-Americans from the Twin Cities have already been lured to training camps overseas, mostly in Somalia.
An international terror group is once again targeting young Somali men and women in the Twin Cities. This time the group is using social media to get them to travel to Somalia to fight.
A federal jury in San Diego on Friday convicted four Somali immigrants — including an imam from a local mosque — of conspiring to funnel money to a terrorist group in their native country.