Archdiocese Of St. Paul And Minneapolis
Following the news that the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has filed for bankruptcy, dozens of parishes across the Twin Cities are now bracing for the worst. Archbishop John Nienstedt made the announcement on Friday. He claimed filing for Chapter 11 reorganization would not hurt local churches.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is suing 20 insurance companies to try to force them to cover its liabilities for clergy sex abuse claims. The carriers provided liability coverage to the archdiocese going back to the late 1940s through 1986.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis reported a $9.1 million operating deficit for fiscal year 2014 and said Thursday that it is considering filing for bankruptcy as its financial condition has become more uncertain due to the growing potential for more lawsuits by victims of clergy sexual abuse.
There are new allegations that the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis destroyed as many as five suspected child porn videos — and that the Vatican knew what happened. This latest allegation involving the Twin Cities Catholic Church comes as a direct result of a landmark agreement between the church and victims. The agreement has resulted in more names of priests, suspected of sexual abuse against a minor, being released.
After a year filled with scrutiny and scandal, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says cuts are coming. The archdiocese will cut more than $5 million, or about 20 percent from its budget.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has disclosed the names of 17 additional priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors.
A Minnesota prosecutor says he won’t file criminal charges in seven cases of alleged sexual misconduct involving eight Catholic priests, but St. Paul police are investigating three other cases. Ramsey County Attorney John Choi says that one of the three still under investigation is likely to lead to prosecution, without giving details.
After a historic settlement in clergy sex abuse lawsuits in Minnesota, now the question becomes how the Catholic Church will pay for it. The exact amount of the settlement has been kept confidential, but experts say it could cost the Archdiocese tens of millions of dollars.
A Minnesota judge signed off on a settlement Monday in a groundbreaking case that accused Catholic church leaders in Minnesota of creating a public nuisance by failing to warn parishioners about an abusive priest. Ramsey County Judge James Van De North approved the settlement after meeting with both sides Monday, said Jeff Anderson, an attorney for the plaintiffs.
A support group for victims of clergy sexual abuse is applauding a man who pursued a public nuisance claim against church leaders in Minnesota.
A church music director in Victoria who lost his job after marrying his long-time partner, is speaking out. “I had held out hope that this would not have to become an issue,” Jamie Manzi-Moore said.
A music director at a Minnesota Catholic church was forced to resign after he married his long-time partner. Jamie Moore had been the music director at St. Victoria Catholic Church in Victoria. This past weekend, Moore married his partner, Garrett.
A judge has split an upcoming clergy sex abuse trial against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona into two separate phases.
The embattled Twin Cities archdiocese has appointed a former top cop to investigate allegations of clergy abuse. Tim O’Malley is not only the former Superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, he is also a judge and a former FBI agent.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has named a former top cop as its point man for dealing with allegations of sexual misconduct by clergy. Timothy O’Malley spent over 30 years in law enforcement, mostly at the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.