Minnesota prosecutors have taken legal action against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, accusing church leaders of failing to protect children from an abusive priest. The case includes criminal charges as well as a civil petition that asks the court to order the archdiocese to restrain from its alleged behavior. Some questions and answers about the case:
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis filed for bankruptcy protection on Friday, saying it’s the best way for the church to get as many resources as possible to victims of clergy sexual abuse.
There are new allegations that the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis destroyed as many as five suspected child porn videos — and that the Vatican knew what happened. This latest allegation involving the Twin Cities Catholic Church comes as a direct result of a landmark agreement between the church and victims. The agreement has resulted in more names of priests, suspected of sexual abuse against a minor, being released.
The embattled Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has announced it will be slashing its budget by 20 percent. In a statement, the archdiocese says more than $5 million in cuts is due to unexpected legal fees.
After a year filled with scrutiny and scandal, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says cuts are coming. The archdiocese will cut more than $5 million, or about 20 percent from its budget.
John Williams had a conversation with Jennifer Haselberger about the Archdiocese of Mpls. St. Paul
A man who was sexually abused by a priest in 1976 can move forward with his claim that the St. Paul-Minneapolis Archdiocese created a public nuisance by failing to warn the public about a problem priest.
The St. Louis Archdiocese on Wednesday condemned some media portrayals of Archbishop Robert Carlson’s deposition in a Minnesota lawsuit over alleged abuse by priests, saying “inaccurate and misleading” reporting has prompted unfair criticism of him.
More information on members of the clergy accused of sexually abusing children was released on Monday.
For years, Father Kevin McDonough was in charge of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis’ internal investigations into abuse claims. Now, a wave of new claims that the church mishandled and covered up abuse for decades has raised questions about McDonough’s actions.
A teenage boy who was molested by the Rev. Curtis Wehmeyer from 2008 through 2011 sued the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday, alleging it conspired to protect the priest from criminal prosecution and conceal his history of sexual misconduct from the public. The lawsuit comes one day after Ramsey County prosecutors said they wouldn’t charge members of the archdiocese for the way they handled allegations against Wehmeyer because there was insufficient evidence to prove anyone failed to immediately report the abuse. Wehmeyer pleaded guilty in 2012 and is serving a five-year prison sentence.
The St. Paul-Minneapolis Archdiocese says two pastors are taking leaves as a result of an ongoing review of clergy files. The Rev. Joseph Gallatin is pastor at the Church of St. Peter in Mendota. The Rev. Mark Wehmann is pastor at St. Boniface in Minneapolis.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis announced Tuesday an allegation of inappropriate touching has been brought against Archbishop John Nienstedt.
Archbishop John Nienstedt addressed the sex abuse scandal involving priests in the St. Paul and Minneapolis Archdiocese at two mass services Sunday in Edina.
The Archdiocese of Minneapolis and St. Paul announced a list of 34 priests credibly accused of sexual abuse earlier this week. Critics said more names should have been on that list, that the Archdiocese was forced to release the names and that without a court order they would not have done so.
The archbishop in St. Paul and Minneapolis says he hopes the disclosure of names of priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors will help restore trust in the church and foster healing for those who have been harmed.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday disclosed the names of 34 priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors, following months of criticism that church leaders mishandled such allegations.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is bracing parish priests and leaders for its upcoming disclosure of a list of clergy who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing minors.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is facing new accusations of child sexual abuse by a priest. Those claims are part of a new lawsuit filed by a Twin Cities man who said he was molested by Father Francis Hoefgen, who had already admitted to sexually abusing children.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has named the firm it has hired to review priest files as part of its plan to address clergy sexual misconduct. The archdiocese announced Thursday that Kinsale Management Consulting will conduct the review.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis said that with a court’s permission, it plans this month to release the names of some priests who sexually abused children. Archbishop John Nienstedt said the initial disclosure will be limited to priests who live in the archdiocese and have substantiated claims of abuse of a minor.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says it will release names of priests who have sexually abused children.
WCCO-TV has obtained an internal Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis letter saying a high-ranking church leader will personally control what files a recently named task force on clergy sex abuse will have access to.
Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt acknowledged Thursday that “serious mistakes” have been made in how he’s handled allegations of clergy sexual misconduct. It’s his strongest wording yet over the ongoing scandal rocking the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.