Health officials are warning the public about toxic blue-green algae blooms in Minnesota lakes after incidents earlier this month where a child was hospitalized and two dogs died near Alexandria.
One dog is ill and another has died after swimming in a Douglas County lake. According to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, DCSO Water Patrol received a report of one dog becoming ill and another dog becoming ill, and ultimately dying, after swimming in Red Rock Lake.
There’s a warning out for beach-goers to beware of blue-green algae. Some types of the algae are very toxic, even deadly, to people and especially pets. The most recent warning is for Carver Lake in Woodbury.
As temperatures soar into the 90s this week, the MPCA is reminding people to beware of toxic algae blooms. The agency said that people should avoid lakes and ponds that have these blooms, and to keep children and pets away.
The warm weather is fueling a potential health risk on area lakes. Algae blooms are starting to grow and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has a warning about a particular type — blue-green algae.
As the Land of 10,000 Lakes starts to warm up, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is warning that warm weather makes conditions right for Minnesota lakes to produce harmful blooms of algae.