A support group for victims of clergy sexual abuse is applauding a man who pursued a public nuisance claim against church leaders in Minnesota.
A newly released police file shows a Minnesota priest remained in ministry even after church leaders learned he had searched online for sexual images of children. St. Paul police released documents Tuesday in the case of the Rev. Jonathan Shelley, who was investigated for possible child porn possession.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says it has paid more than $8.8 million in the past 10 years over clergy sexual abuse and other misconduct by priests.
A teenage boy who was molested by the Rev. Curtis Wehmeyer from 2008 through 2011 sued the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday, alleging it conspired to protect the priest from criminal prosecution and conceal his history of sexual misconduct from the public. The lawsuit comes one day after Ramsey County prosecutors said they wouldn’t charge members of the archdiocese for the way they handled allegations against Wehmeyer because there was insufficient evidence to prove anyone failed to immediately report the abuse. Wehmeyer pleaded guilty in 2012 and is serving a five-year prison sentence.
The archbishop in St. Paul and Minneapolis says he hopes the disclosure of names of priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors will help restore trust in the church and foster healing for those who have been harmed.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday disclosed the names of 34 priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors, following months of criticism that church leaders mishandled such allegations.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is bracing parish priests and leaders for its upcoming disclosure of a list of clergy who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing minors.
Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt acknowledged Thursday that “serious mistakes” have been made in how he’s handled allegations of clergy sexual misconduct. It’s his strongest wording yet over the ongoing scandal rocking the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
The former church employee who went public with claims that archdiocese leaders in St. Paul mishandled allegations of clergy sexual misconduct still feels like she didn’t do enough. Jennifer Haselberger says that as early as 2008, she had been warning church leaders about troubled priests in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
A man who says he was sexually abused by an Irish priest in Minnesota in 1982 is suing the Diocese of New Ulm, taking advantage of a new law easing the state’s statute of limitations for victims of childhood sexual abuse.
A 21-year-old Blaine man who claims he was sexually abused by a former youth volunteer at a Spring Lake Park church has sued the church and the volunteer.