Three victims of clergy abuse have made a video appeal for other victims to come forward. An attorney for victims is asking a judge to order the video be played in all 216 Minnesota parishes on Sunday, July 12.
Parishioners leaving morning mass at the Cathedral of St. Paul have mixed feelings about the resignations of Archbishop John Nienstedt and Bishop Lee Anthony Piche. Nienstedt announced his resignation Monday, along with that of Piche.
The Ramsey County Attorney’s office filed criminal charges Friday against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis for failing to protect children. County Attorney John Choi is accusing the archdiocese of causing “unspeakable harm to three young sexual abuse victims.”
A federal judge has criticized the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis for relying on legal notices to inform sex-abuse victims about an impending deadline for filing claims.
The Diocese of New Ulm has released the names of four priests accused of sexual abuse. St. Paul lawyer Jeff Anderson says that, of the four named, one has to his knowledge not been publicly named before — Father Dennis Becker.
Last week, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis announced it was filing for bankruptcy amid lawsuits claiming sexual abuse by priests. Tuesday, they were in court to hash out some of the details.
A woman who says she was sexually abused as a child by a Catholic Priest told her story openly and shared her name for the first time on Monday. Marie Mielke said Father Michael Keating sexually abused her beginning when she was 12 years old back in the late 1990s.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is suing 20 insurance companies to try to force them to cover its liabilities for clergy sex abuse claims. The carriers provided liability coverage to the archdiocese going back to the late 1940s through 1986.
Archbishop John Nienstedt’s testimony about when he knew about an abusive priest contradicts information in letters he exchanged with a parishioner six years ago. Minnesota Public Radio News reports that Nienstedt made a false statement when he testified on April 2 that he learned about the prior conviction of the Rev. Gilbert Gustafson “during the last six months.”
John Williams had a conversation with Jennifer Haselberger about the Archdiocese of Mpls. St. Paul
The Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis says he will not resign and insists the Church has turned a corner with new policies to better address allegations of sexual abuse by priests. You can watch the entirety of Esme Murphy’s interview with the archbishop here.
The Roman Catholic archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis says he won’t resign despite criticism over the archdiocese’s handling of sexual abuse claims involving priests. Archbishop John Nienstedt made his comments in in a column that will appear in Thursday’s archdiocese newspaper, The Catholic Spirit.
Lawyers for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis return to court Monday to ask a judge to dismiss a clergy sex abuse lawsuit that’s already forced painful revelations about how top church officials handled allegations of misconduct by priests.
Attorneys for victims of alleged sexual abuse by clergy are asking the church to turn over electronic files about accused priests — so they can verify who had information about these priests, and when they had it.
A former Catholic priest has been charged in Dakota County with sexually abusing an altar boy from 1989 to 1991.
A priest who was convicted of fondling a 12-year-old girl while he was working in the Diocese of Winona has been deported to his native India. Officials with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement say 48-year-old Leo Charles Koppala was turned over to authorities in New Delhi on Wednesday.
Attorneys for victims of alleged sexual abuse by priests have released the deposition of Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt to the public.
The lead prosecutor in St. Louis County says the Diocese of Duluth should have gone to police immediately after learning a priest was accused of sexually abusing a child. County Attorney Mark Rubin says the diocese waited 15 months before notifying authorities that the Rev. Cornelius Kelleher was accused of abusing a girl years ago.
The Diocese of Duluth has released the names of 17 priests whom it says were credibly accused of sexual abuse. A Duluth News Tribune report says 14 have died. All 17 were removed from the church, are under investigation or were dead when the accusations arose.
A man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest in Granite Falls is suing the Diocese of New Ulm and the Servants of the Paraclete to force the release of their lists of clerics accused of molesting children. The lawsuit filed Thursday alleges the diocese and religious order were negligent.
The archbishop in St. Paul and Minneapolis says he hopes the disclosure of names of priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors will help restore trust in the church and foster healing for those who have been harmed.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday disclosed the names of 34 priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors, following months of criticism that church leaders mishandled such allegations.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says it’s prepared to release names of 30 priests accused of sexually abusing minors if it gets a court order. The names include 29 priests on a 2004 list of priests deemed to have been credibly accused of abuse, plus one who had a substantiated claim leveled against him later.
The Minnesota Supreme Court has tossed out a clergy abuse lawsuit by a man whose case rested on a repressed memory claim.
A spokesman for St. John’s Abbey says he can’t address the central claim in a new lawsuit accusing abbey officials of allowing a member to continue teaching long after he was accused of sexual abuse.