Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said Wednesday the state will appeal a federal court ruling declaring the state’s sex offender program unconstitutional.
The state of Minnesota is indicating it will appeal a federal court ruling last week that declared the state’s sex offender treatment program unconstitutional.
More than 700 civilly committed sex offenders are suing the state of Minnesota, arguing the program keeping them locked up is unconstitutional.
Minnesota’s civil commitment program for sex offenders has been under fire for years by people who say it’s unconstitutional because it amounts to a life sentence. A federal judge has pressured state lawmakers to change the program to address concerns, but they have not.
Experts reviewing Minnesota’s civil commitment program for sex offenders are recommending that staff begin creating plans to discharge clients when they are first admitted to the program, and that residents be periodically evaluated to ensure they meet criteria for confinement. The recommendations are among dozens issued Tuesday by experts who have spent months evaluating residents, treatment standards and polices at the Minnesota Sex Offender Program.
A case about the constitutionality of the Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program is heading to federal court. Attorney Dan Gustafson is representing 24-year-old Eric Terhaar. Both Terhaar and 48-year-old Rhonda Bailey are both trying to get released from the program.
Attorneys for residents of the Minnesota Sex Offender Program asked a federal judge on Wednesday to declare the program unconstitutional, saying that it is more of a prison than a therapeutic center and that it does not provide appropriate treatment to help its nearly 700 clients attain release.
Attorneys for the residents of Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program are arguing that the program doesn’t work and is unconstitutional. Attorney Dan Gustafson says the treatment program is a failure because no one ever gets out.
The federal judge overseeing the complicated court fight over publicity payouts between the NFL and retired players took the case under advisement Thursday, before deciding whether to give final approval to the $50 million settlement.