Hunters in Minnesota killed fewer deer during this year’s opening weekend of the firearms deer season than they did last year, the state Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday. Final numbers show that hunters registered 54,000 deer killed during the first three days of the firearms season, which is 30,000 fewer than last year’s opening weekend, the agency said.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources expects this year’s deer harvest will be one of the lowest in decades. But, that’s by design.
Minnesota wildlife managers have announced rules for a “conservative” deer season to rebuild the whitetail population across much of the state. The Department of Natural Resources says only one deer can be harvested in 95 percent of the state, and the harvest of does will be further restricted.
Minnesota’s firearms deer harvest so far this season is down 6 percent from the same point last year. Two weekends into the season, the Department of Natural Resources says hunters have registered 128,814 deer.
Minnesota’s deer harvest declined in 2012 but officials say it was a safe season for people who took to the woods.
Minnesota’s deer harvest rose 7 percent during the 2010 season, compared with the previous year.