Attorneys for more than 700 sex offenders committed to Minnesota’s secure treatment program have proposed a long list of remedies to the judge who declared the program unconstitutional.
An attorney for the state of Minnesota says state officials won’t propose any specific remedies ahead of a Sept. 30 hearing in a lawsuit over the Minnesota Sex Offender Program.
In June, a federal judge declared the state program that locks up civilly committed sex offenders unconstitutional.
Minnesota is under federal court pressure to rework its program that locks up sex offenders even after they serve out prison terms, a system the state’s political leaders have vigorously defended.
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is shaving some time off his upcoming trade trip to Mexico to be at a court conference on the state’s sex offender confinement program. Dayton’s office said Thursday he would be at the Aug. 10 conference on possible changes to the civil commitment program that a federal judge ruled unconstitutional.
Former Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Eric Magnuson has been given a prominent role in a federal court case determining potential changes to the state’s sex offender treatment program.
A federal judge has denied an attempt by the state to get a quick appeal of his ruling that Minnesota’s program for civilly committed sex offenders is unconstitutional. U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank ruled Wednesday that court rules don’t allow for an appeal at this stage of the case.
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said Wednesday the state will appeal a federal court ruling declaring the state’s sex offender program unconstitutional.
The state of Minnesota is indicating it will appeal a federal court ruling last week that declared the state’s sex offender treatment program unconstitutional.
A federal judge ruled Wednesday that Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program is unconstitutional, saying it violates the “fundamental rights” of more than 700 people locked up indefinitely after completing their prison sentences.
A federal judge is scheduled to rule Wednesday on the constitutionality of Minnesota’s sex offender program. Sex offenders sued the state in 2011 because almost no one has been discharged.
Minnesota lawmakers have been on notice for 16 months: Fix what a federal judge called a “draconian” and “clearly broken” sex offender treatment program or risk seeing it thrown out entirely.
A federal judge plans to rule next week on a constitutional challenge to the Minnesota Sex Offender Program.
Federal Judge Donovan Frank appointed Court Monitor David Ferleger to make sure Minnesota follows orders to fix serious abuses of disabled patients. And he acts as a court-appointed consultant, making sure the state keeps a promise to reform Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program.
Minnesota’s civil commitment program for sex offenders has been under fire for years by people who say it’s unconstitutional because it amounts to a life sentence. A federal judge has pressured state lawmakers to change the program to address concerns, but they have not.
A Feb. 9 trial date has been set for a constitutional challenge to Minnesota’s sex offenders treatment program. U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank set the date Thursday during a hearing in St. Paul on the case.
Four experts appointed to evaluate a Minnesota program that confines some sex offenders to high-security facilities even after they have served prison sentences said they need more time to complete their work.
A federal judge on Monday denied motions for the immediate release of a man from the state’s sex offender program and the transfer of the only woman in it to a less restrictive facility, but said he will expedite a class-action challenge to the program’s constitutionality and set it for trial later this year.
Attorneys for a man who was committed to the Minnesota Sex Offender Program for crimes he committed when he was a child say he should be immediately released, and they asked a federal judge on Tuesday to declare his confinement unconstitutional.
An attorney for officials who run Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program says the way experts are evaluating the program makes it impossible for them to issue a report favorable to the state.
Experts evaluating patients at the Minnesota Sex Offender Program say one man should be freed because there’s little evidence to show he’s a risk.
Minnesota legislative leaders sniped at each other Friday for a lack of progress in fixing the state’s sex offender treatment program despite a federal judge’s urging for fast action to correct it. Lawmakers acknowledged that no talks on the subject have occurred in about a month.
Attorneys for residents of the Minnesota Sex Offender Program asked a federal judge on Wednesday to declare the program unconstitutional, saying that it is more of a prison than a therapeutic center and that it does not provide appropriate treatment to help its nearly 700 clients attain release.
Minnesota’s top campaign regulator said Monday the state will continue requiring political groups to disclose campaign fundraising and spending this fall despite a federal appeals court ruling last week that found part of the law “most likely unconstitutional.”