A University of Minnesota building was evacuated because of a suspected gas leak, but no gas was found. Students were cleared from the chemical engineering building on the East Bank of the Minneapolis campus Monday afternoon.
A fire ripped through a second-floor apartment above a popular coffee shop in Minneapolis’ Dinkytown neighborhood Friday afternoon. The Minneapolis Fire Department says it started in an apartment above Espresso Royale on 411 14th Street Southeast, near the University of Minnesota’s East Bank campus, sometime around 12:30 p.m. “I was lying in my bed when I saw smoke come out,” said Phoebe Gulling, a University of Minnesota student. “I looked outside and saw fire coming out of the building.”
University of Minnesota Police are investigating how a woman fell out of a 6th floor window at a residence hall early Saturday evening. Authorities say the woman was taken to the hospital after she fell from the window at Yudof Residence Hall on the campus’ east bank shortly before 6 p.m. They say she is not a U of M student. Investigators are continuing to look into what happened, but say it appears to be an accident.