The federal government has denied Minnesota’s request to add Dakota County to a disaster declaration for recent severe storms and flooding. The Federal Emergency Management Agency notified the state about the rejection late Tuesday.
Months after the floods, one of the communities that saw some of the worst damage has a lot of cleanup and repairs to do. Heavy rain washed out major roads, triggered mudslides and flooded homes in the town of Blakeley, which is about an hour southwest of the Twin Cities.
Golfers like Roosevelt Elliott are returning to tee it up on Hiawatha Golf Course in Minneapolis. “Really, really excited,” Elliot said. “I couldn’t wait to get out here because I wanted to get some exercise. I’ve been chipping and putting, you know, for the past month or so.”
Initial estimates from recent flooding across Minnesota put the public infrastructure damage at $32 million, with more assessments to come that will push the total up. Gov. Mark Dayton and his emergency managers provided the estimate Tuesday. They said it makes them confident that the state would be eligible for federal assistance to offset costs of response and recovery. Flooding damage was seen in nearly half of Minnesota’s counties.
The Mankato area was hit hard by flash flooding Wednesday morning, and on Thursday morning the Twin Cities was getting its turn. Thunderstorms with lightning and very heavy rain raced through the metro early Thursday morning, flooding roads and causing traffic problems.
Minnesota may get federal help to clean up from last month’s severe storms and flash floods. A powerful wind and rain storm downed hundreds of trees and knocked out power to more than a half-million homes and businesses last month.
President Barack Obama has declared a major federal disaster for five southwestern Minnesota counties hit by an April ice storm.
The state Department of Public Safety announced Wednesday that one of its top officials has asked FEMA to conduct a damage assessment after last week’s ice storm toppled trees and power lines in southwestern Minnesota.
A woman has been sentenced for taking $8,600 in FEMA relief after Hurricane Katrina, despite the fact that she was living in subsidized housing in Minnesota at the time.
A 30-year-old woman was sentenced in federal court Tuesday in St. Paul for stealing money from FEMA in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Governor Christie went out of his way to praise the work that the President and his administration are doing, something that he got a lot of credit for…outside of the right-wing blogosphere.
Gov. Mitt Romney returned to the campaign trail today, but refrained again from criticizing President Obama in light of the disaster on the East Coast.
When the storm and its headlines have passed, however, the questions about the Benghazi tragedy should continue full force as November 6 continues to near. During the much-needed questioning and impending investigation, it would be grand if President Obama would remain presidential throughout the process.
Romney was asked at a presidential debate whether FEMA should be shut down in light of the deficit. Romney replied that FEMA should “absolutely” be shut down. He was asked specifically if that included disaster relief. He replied that it was “immoral” to provide such relief in the face of “larger debts”, emphasizing that “it makes no sense at all” to have such programs.
The 2012 presidential campaign between President Obama and Mitt Romney will be book-ended by hurricanes.