Now that furnaces are clicking on around the city, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is going up. Just Saturday night, Burnsville firefighters say they got a call to an apartment complex and once there, they detected carbon monoxide in the air. The building was then evacuated.
For many of us it’s officially on–the heat, that is. A cool blast of air has caused some to fire up the furnaces.
It’s estimated Minnesotans pay around $1,500 dollars a year in energy costs. And if you need a new furnace, that can add on thousands more.
Monday’s frigid temperatures are creating extra work for heating repair companies. CenterPoint Energy has tripled its staff since Sunday and technicians are working around the clock. Smaller heating repair companies are also seeing a big boost in business.
Under new guidelines, any home furnace purchased after May 1 must have an efficiency rating of 90 percent or higher. It’s a move to help cut energy costs, but some homeowners may find that making the upgrade won’t give them the savings they’re hoping for.