A federal judge has denied a request to stop an election that could unionize thousands of individuals who provide in-home health care to the elderly and disabled. U.S. District Judge Michael Davis said Wednesday he won’t interfere in an ongoing election, based on fear of its potential outcome.
The shortage of doctors, nurses and medical equipment is making the Ebola outbreak in West Africa difficult to contain. Tuesday, the United Nations Secretary General urged the international community to step up and help out.
Michelle Williams’ energy is ever-present. And so is her limp. The online auction manager never stops moving around her 4,000 square-foot warehouse. But when running her forklift became more than just a pain, Williams realized she needed help. “I like to have fun,” Williams said.
There is increasing pressure on Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki to resign. A new report from the VA’s inspector general says hundreds of veterans are awaiting care at a VA hospital in Phoenix. The average wait time is almost four months for a first appointment.
UnitedHealth Group’s first-quarter net income slid 8 percent as funding cuts to a key product and costs imposed by the health care overhaul dented the health insurer’s performance. The Minnetonka company said the overhaul and government budget cuts added about 35 cents per share in costs during the quarter.
Gov. Mark Dayton has lashed out at critics of Minnesota’s health insurance exchange, accusing them of waging a propaganda campaign to destroy it. The Democratic governor spoke to reporters after GOP members of a legislative oversight committee said they wanted to use a hearing Wednesday to raise questions about the troubled launch of MNsure last October.
MNsure’s interim CEO says Minnesota’s online health insurance exchange is stable, secure and successful. According to an advance copy of his testimony before a congressional panel Thursday, Scott Leitz says it’s not news that MNsure’s rollout was rocky last October.
In Minnesota, at least one group opposed to Obamacare encouraged Minnesotans not to enroll and encouraged them to refuse to sign up on any website. Gov. Mark Dayton calls it inexplicable. “It’s been a barrage of criticism all the way. It’s been people cheering when it has problems. It’s been telling people not to enroll, which i think was very ill-advised,” Dayton said.
A total of 169,251 Minnesota residents signed up for health insurance coverage by the end of the first open enrollment period, state officials said Tuesday, exceeding the goal set after the troubled launch of the website in October.
People waiting for a scorecard on a key insurance enrollment measure under Minnesota’s health care marketplace will have to wait for results. MNsure interim director Scott Leitz said Friday it will take officials time to say how many previously uninsured people have obtained coverage for the first time. Leitz says some statistics are being kept or gleaned from enrollment forms, but it’s not known how many of the 400,000 previously uninsured Minnesotans have enrolled.
Minnesota’s new health care exchange celebrated a milestone Tuesday as officials announced they have exceeded their goal by enrolling over 136,700 Minnesotans in insurance plans with less than a week to go in the inaugural open enrollment period.
A federal agency is suing a Minneapolis area home health care provider for allegedly discriminating against a former employee with a disability. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed the lawsuit Monday against Baywood Home Care.
HealthPartners is alerting some of its customers about a privacy breach that happened back in 2008. According to HealthPartners officials, information of some customers was compromised between 2008 and 2010 when an employee shared files with a family member in order to get help formatting them for reports.
Minnesota’s new health insurance exchange is making a final push to sign up so-called “young invincibles” by a March 31 deadline for open enrollment. Exchange chief Scott Leitz on Thursday announced a series of events for the coming week aimed at young adults ages 26 to 34.
President Barack Obama’s speech Wednesday was open to the public, but there was a limited number of tickets available.