A 22-year-old Chicago man pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of second-degree murder in the April shooting deaths of two men on Minneapolis’ north side.
A Brooklyn Center man has pleaded guilty to second-degree unintentional murder in connection to a fatal shooting at a Fourth of July party last year in north Minneapolis. The Hennepin County Attorney’s office says 25-year-old Joseph Lee Smith is accused of shooting 28-year-old Cabrie Young in the chest after a fight broke out at a party on the 3400 block of Dupont Avenue North.
One of the most heavily pushed bills lawmakers will take up this session is whether or not to restore voting rights to convicted felons.
A 22-year-old Minneapolis man has pleaded guilty to raping a woman and trying to rape another in one afternoon last October in a downtown Minneapolis parking ramp.
A Hennepin County grand jury won’t bring charges against four officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man and woman on Highway 212 earlier this year.
A gun found during a routine traffic stop in north Minneapolis lead to charges in an unsolved northeast Minneapolis murder. Eulalio Gonzalez-Sanchez, 36, had just gotten off a city bus near 22nd Avenue Northeast and 7th Street Northeast back in September. It was early on a Sunday morning when he was shot and killed. Investigators believe it was a robbery gone bad.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman called a news conference Wednesday morning to talk about the impact of heroin in the suburbs.
The Hennepin County Attorney said Friday that a man convicted of a serial killings in the 1980s should not receive a new trial. Billy Richard Glaze, 70, was convicted of killing three Native American women in 1986 and 1987.
A St. Paul woman is charged with a fatal shooting inside a downtown Minneapolis strip club. Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said Tuesday 29-year-old Jasmine Nicole Jones is charged with second-degree murder.
Two electrical companies face criminal charges for illegally pocketing more than a quarter million dollars.
Back in May, Ray Rice pleaded not guilty to aggravated assault. As a first time offender, he avoided jail time, but was ordered by the court to undergo counseling.
In a decision that civil rights groups said would protect property owners’ rights, the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that evidence obtained during illegal searches cannot be used to take someone’s property through civil forfeitures.
When 18-year-old Carrie Richter and 20-year-old Dustin Baity didn’t show up for a gathering on Christmas Day 1998, their families grew suspicious. The couple was later found strangled and stabbed in the northeast Minneapolis apartment they shared. “Homicides are never over and DNA is the great tool of investigators and prosecutors,” said Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.
A grand jury has indicted two St. Paul men in a 15-year-old murder case. Authorities allege 32-year-old Earl Vang, of St. Paul, was one of two men who shot and killed 19-year-old Miguel McElroy outside a north Minneapolis convenience store July 9, 1999, after a drug deal went bad.
New evidence had led to an arrest and new charges in a deadly shooting from 15 years ago. Hennepin County prosecutors say in July of 1999, Earl Vang and Tou Lu Yang killed Miguel McElroy and hurt his father. It was part of a gang-related drug deal.
A mother who crashed into a St. Louis Park retention pond with a car full of children is now facing jail time. Marian Guerrido was driving with her three kids and two of her boyfriend’s children last November when she lost control, submerging the car.
It’s a skill that can mean the difference between life and death. That’s why Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges and city leaders are pushing for a new project – Minneapolis Swims – to help children learn to swim.
The FBI is now investigating more claims against the self-declared “Scottish aristocrats” charged with welfare fraud – including the possibility they also defrauded members of a prominent Twin Cities church. The FBI has interviewed members of St. Martin’s by-the-Lake Episcopal Church who say that Colin and Andrea Chisholm borrowed thousands of dollars from them, and offered worthless stock certificates as collateral.
Star Tribune columnist C.J. recently interviewed attorney Ron Meshbesher about the Amy Senser case. When asked how he would have defended Senser, Meshbesher responded by saying it was a tough case because she left the scene of the fatal accident. Anousone Phanthavong, 38, was killed while refilling his gas tank on an Interstate 94 exit ramp in Minneapolis. Senser was convicted of criminal vehicular homicide in the 2011.
A Maple Grove city councilwoman who pleaded guilty to a charge accusing her of stealing thousands of dollars from her dying father has been sentenced to serve 60 days in the Hennepin County Workhouse. Leann Sargent, 63, specifically pleaded guilty to one felony count of financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult on the morning of Feb. 5.
A 27-year-old Minneapolis man was sentenced Wednesday to life without parole for his role in the shooting death of a 13-year-old boy in 2011. Kemen Lavatos Taylor was convicted on nine criminal counts, including the first-degree murder of Rayjon Gomez, 13, and the attempted murder of two of Gomez’s teenaged friends, according to Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.
With the NFL Draft coming in May, teams got a first-hand look at several professional prospects at the recent NFL combine workouts. There’s also an interview process, and now social media accounts for players are also under the microscope.
An alleged drunk driver who struck and killed a bicyclist Monday night was charged Friday with criminal vehicular homicide. According to the Hennepin County Attorney’s office, John Iverson, 49, faces up to 10 years in prison after killing 26-year-old Marcus Nalls with his van. Witnesses say Iverson sped west down Franklin Avenue Monday night when he suddenly swerved towards the curb, hit Nalls off of his bike and then ran him over. According to the criminal complaint, Iverson continued driving down the block until his van stopped after hitting a dumpster.
The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office has charged a 20-year-old man with second-degree murder, in connection with the shooting death of a Good Samaritan who was trying to help him. Devon Derrick Parker was charged Monday afternoon in the incident. And this isn’t his first run-in with the law. Parker has several past felony assault charges against him. He was in court Monday for one this past September. In that case, he’s accused of assaulting medical professionals and officers who were trying to get him to a hospital because he was too drunk to function.
A second teenager accused of assaulting a former Minneapolis mayoral candidate has been charged Monday, according to Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman. Seventeen-year-old Deea Leshawn Elliot was charged by juvenile petition with two counts of aggravated first-degree robbery and one count of second-degree assault for an attack on Mark Andrew, 63, at the Mall of America on Thursday. According to the criminal complaint, a young man grabbed Andrew’s iPhone from him in a Starbucks at the MOA. Andrew chased after the suspect, but was stopped by Elliot and 18-year-old Letajia Cutler Cain, who blocked the shop’s door.