The Minnesota Orchestra has announced its first concerts since ending a 15-month lockout of union musicians.
Listen to the Morning Take by clicking the above podcast link. The lockout is over at the Minnesota Orchestra!
On early Tuesday evening, the Minnesota Orchestra Board of Directors and the musicians of the Twin Cities Musicians’ Union ratified a new collective bargaining agreement, effective Feb. 1.
The Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra aren’t letting a seemingly never-ending lockout stop them from performing. Starting Friday, the musicians will begin a 10-concert run for the Winter-Spring season, called “Music For Minnesota: A Season of Shining Stars!”
Hundreds of gay and lesbian couples married in Minnesota, beginning at the stroke of midnight on Aug. 1.
Despite being in the middle of a labor dispute, the Minnesota Orchestra continues to shine. The orchestra’s latest album was nominated for a Grammy Award Friday night in Los Angeles. Tony Ross is one of the musicians, and he says it’s a really big deal. “Especially if the orchestra is not in Nashville, or Los Angeles or San Francisco.” Ross said. He said that’s because there are not a lot of voting members in this community.
Former Minnesota Orchestra conductor Eiji Oue is returning to conduct the orchestra’s locked-out musicians in a pair of holiday concerts. Oue will conduct the musicians on Dec. 14 and 15 in the Minneapolis Convention Center Auditorium.
Former Minnesota Orchestra music director Eiji Oue will return to the Twin Cities to conduct the orchestra’s holiday performances of Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker Suite.” Oue was the director of the orchestra from 1995 until 2002.
Another attempt to break the long impasse in the Minnesota Orchestra lockout has failed. Both sides say back-channel talks broke off after they were unable to agree on how to move forward. The last meeting was Monday.
It’s been nearly 13 months since the lockout began at the Minnesota Orchestra, and now some leaders are calling for state aid to settle the dispute. Former governor Arne Carlson says the orchestra is a valued community asset that should get the same attention as the Vikings stadium.
While there still hasn’t been any movement in contract talks between management at the Minnesota Orchestra and its musicians, a local lawmaker is now pushing for the state to get involved.
Drama, appreciation and sadness played a part in Saturday night’s final performance for the Minnesota Orchestra with its famed conductor at the helm. Osmo Vänskä’s 10-year tenure as director of the Minn. Orchestra ended at the University of Minnesota’s Ted Mann Concert Hall, where he received a standing ovation when he first walked out on stage in the final of three farewell performances. Vänskä resigned from the orchestra on Tuesday, more than one year after his musicians went on strike in protest of management’s deep pay cuts in the wake of major building renovations.
Former Minnesota Orchestra conductor Osmo Vanska is returning to the stage to lead his former musicians in what amounts to a pair of farewell concerts. Vanska quit his post earlier this week over the extended lockout that has idled the orchestra for more than a year.
The Minnesota Orchestra’s famed conductor quit Tuesday, less than 24 hours after talks collapsed and two high profile concerts at New York’s Carnegie Hall were canceled. The departure of Osmo Vänskä means the lockout of the musicians, which hit the one-year mark on Tuesday, will continue indefinitely.
Tuesday marks the 1-year anniversary of the lock out of musicians with the Minnesota Orchestra. After performing an educational concert at Hopkins High School, Tim Zavadil got emotional talking about the impact Osmo Vanska had on them.