There are new allegations that the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis destroyed as many as five suspected child porn videos — and that the Vatican knew what happened. This latest allegation involving the Twin Cities Catholic Church comes as a direct result of a landmark agreement between the church and victims. The agreement has resulted in more names of priests, suspected of sexual abuse against a minor, being released.
Archbishop John Nienstedt’s testimony about when he knew about an abusive priest contradicts information in letters he exchanged with a parishioner six years ago. Minnesota Public Radio News reports that Nienstedt made a false statement when he testified on April 2 that he learned about the prior conviction of the Rev. Gilbert Gustafson “during the last six months.”
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has disclosed the names of 17 additional priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors.
The Diocese of New Ulm is defending its record, one day after a plaintiff’s attorney released the names of eight priests whom he alleged had been “credibly accused” of molesting minors.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has added five names to its list of priests and religious brothers with substantiated claims of abuse against them. The names include three priests and two brothers who served in the archdiocese. All are deceased. In all cases, the abuse happened over 25 years ago.
A priest who was convicted of fondling a 12-year-old girl while he was working in the Diocese of Winona has been deported to his native India. Officials with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement say 48-year-old Leo Charles Koppala was turned over to authorities in New Delhi on Wednesday.
The Archdiocese of St. Cloud has released the names of four priests who have had substantiated claims of sexual abuse of minors in the past. A court order issued earlier required the release of the names of all local priests accused of abusing children since 2004.
Lawyers for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis are trying to block a court order requiring Archbishop John Nienstedt to testify about how the church handled clergy sexual abuse and release the names of all local priests accused of abusing children since 2004. The archdiocese contends Ramsey County Judge John Van de North exceeded his authority in allowing attorneys for an alleged clergy abuse victim to depose Nienstedt and former Vicar General Kevin McDonough. The archdiocese’s request, filed in Ramsey County District Court, asks for the demands to be dropped while it proceeds with an appeal.
The Diocese of Duluth has released the names of 17 priests whom it says were credibly accused of sexual abuse. A Duluth News Tribune report says 14 have died. All 17 were removed from the church, are under investigation or were dead when the accusations arose.
The St. Paul-Minneapolis Archdiocese says two pastors are taking leaves as a result of an ongoing review of clergy files. The Rev. Joseph Gallatin is pastor at the Church of St. Peter in Mendota. The Rev. Mark Wehmann is pastor at St. Boniface in Minneapolis.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Winona has named 14 priests accused of sexually abusing minors. The southeastern Minnesota diocese filed the list in Ramsey County District Court on Monday.
Archbishop John Nienstedt addressed the sex abuse scandal involving priests in the St. Paul and Minneapolis Archdiocese at two mass services Sunday in Edina.
Twin Cities Catholics are anxious to hear from Archbishop John Nienstedt. “I am curious to hear what he has to say, absolutely,” said parishioner Maria Medina DeSmith. Nienstedt is expected to make a public apology Sunday surrounding the priest abuse scandal that is rocking the local Catholic Church. It will be part of the homily given at Our Lady of Grace Church in Edina. “I think that’s good, healthy,” parishioner Mark Photoidaes said. “I think it’s important to acknowledge the situation and, he’s doing the right thing.”
A lawsuit filed on behalf of a man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest in the Diocese of Duluth in the 1970s is asking the diocese to release its list of 17 priests accused of molesting minors.
Advocates for victims of sexual abuse by clergy said Friday they will continue to push for more information about priests who have been accused of molesting children, and they hope the recent disclosure of a list of accused priests in the Twin Cities archdiocese will lead to similar ones being produced around the state.