Ramsey County Court
A former treasurer of the Minnesota State Fire Department Association is accused of taking money from the department over a span of four years, according to charges filed by the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office.
A 49-year-old man is accused of stabbing his ex-girlfriend to death after the two got into an argument at a St. Paul apartment Sunday night, according to charges filed in Ramsey County Court.
A jury has convicted a Little Canada man of first-degree manslaughter for fatally pushing another man into oncoming traffic. Forty-one-year-old Michael Merten III was acquitted of two more serious second-degree murder charges in Ramsey County court Wednesday after the jury began deliberating Monday afternoon.
After a month on the run, suspected killer Ty Hoffman appeared in court on second-degree murder charges Friday afternoon, and bail was set at $2 million. Hoffman was formally charged Thursday with second-degree intentional murder. On Friday afternoon, he appeared in court wearing a bulletproof vest and no handcuffs.
St. Paul authorities have charged a man with moving the body of a woman who was found wrapped in a blanket outside. Sixty-four-year-old John Stanton Sr. was charged in Ramsey County court Tuesday with one count of interference with a dead body.
The Dakota County attorney’s office is looking into whether St. Paul school district staffers broke the law by not reporting allegations against a custodian now charged with sexual misconduct.
A 19-year-old St. Paul man was found guilty Tuesday in Ramsey County Court in the shooting death of a man in his home last September. Aloeng Kelly Vang was found guilty of first-degree murder and second-degree murder in connection with the murder of Jeffrey Thomas Elling.
A former custodian at a St. Paul school is facing more accusations of inappropriate behavior with students. Walter Happel, 62, was charged on March 20 after police said he was caught peeking at an 11-year-old boy in a bathroom at Linwood Monroe Arts Plus School.
Neal Zumberge, 57, is charged with second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder for the May 5 shooting of 46-year-old Todd Stevens and Jennifer Cleven, 48. Twin Cities attorney Bruce Rivers, host of WCCO Radio’s “Open Court,” says the situation escalated after a confrontation with Zumberge’s son, 23-year-old Jacob Zumberge.
A 57-year-old New Brighton man has been charged in Monday night’s double shooting that left a man dead and a woman injured. Neal Curtis Zumberge has been charged with one count of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Todd Stevens.
A Ramsey County jury found Yia Her guilty on all counts Tuesday night in connection with the June 2013 shooting death of a St. Paul bar owner. Her, 27, had been charged with one count of second-degree murder and two counts of attempted second-degree murder in the incident.
A suspect shot by police in St. Paul last Friday has been charged with attempted murder, according to court documents filed Tuesday in Ramsey County. Cory Anthony Lee, 37 of St. Paul, was charged with one count of second-degree attempted murder and one count of ineligible possession of a firearm in connection with the March 21 incident.
A South St. Paul man pleaded guilty Wednesday in a Ramsey County Court to the murder of a staff sergeant in the Minnesota National Guard. According to the Ramsey County Attorney’s office, Aaron William Allen, 26, admitted to shooting 25-year-old Brandon James Horst as he was asleep at his St. Paul home on Aug. 5. 2013. Allen also admitted in Ramsey County Court Wednesday that Horst’s wife, 25-year-old Heather Leanne Horst.
One of two 15-year-old boys accused of being involved in the brutal beating of a St. Paul man on the city’s east side last August will stand trial as an adult. Charles Redding will appear in a Ramsey County courtroom Thursday as he faces charges in the Aug. 4, 2013 assault of Ray Widstrand.
Twin Cities Catholics are anxious to hear from Archbishop John Nienstedt. “I am curious to hear what he has to say, absolutely,” said parishioner Maria Medina DeSmith. Nienstedt is expected to make a public apology Sunday surrounding the priest abuse scandal that is rocking the local Catholic Church. It will be part of the homily given at Our Lady of Grace Church in Edina. “I think that’s good, healthy,” parishioner Mark Photoidaes said. “I think it’s important to acknowledge the situation and, he’s doing the right thing.”