The Diocese of Winona released details Monday about 14 priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children, calling their decision an effort to be transparent and promote healing. The information shows when church officials first learned of allegations against each priest. And, it shows that some clergy were allowed to remain in ministry for years, even decades, after those allegations came to light.
Retired Twin Cities Archbishop Harry Flynn says he can’t remember how he handled clergy sex abuse cases during his 13-year tenure.
Newly released records show the man who was second in charge to Archbishop John Nienstedt had urged him to step down during the investigation of sexual abuse in the church.
Findings released from the Twin Cities Catholic Archdiocese internal task force said “serious shortcomings” were found in the way the Archdiocese handled complaints of sexual abuse. The task force, which was commissioned by the archdiocese and was formed last October, recommended several changes Monday.
In a rare move, the Diocese of New Ulm is suing another diocese, alleging it sent a priest to Minnesota without warning about past accusations of sexual abuse. A report says the lawsuit is against the Diocese of Clogher in Ireland and the Servants of the Paraclete religious order.
A Minneapolis man is among those busted in what is being called one of the largest child pornography busts in history. The Department of Homeland Security has been watching an underground ring and its members over the past year. They say a dozen of the victims are from Minnesota.
A Blue Earth-area priest has admitted to fondling a girl while he was attending dinner at her grandmother’s home. The Rev. Leo Koppala pleaded guilty Monday to second-degree criminal sexual conduct involving a victim under 13. He’ll be sentenced March 31.
In Minnesota, there are 700 sex offenders kept away in indefinite treatment, more than in any other state. A federal judge warned that some of those men need to be let go because parts of the program are unconstitutional.
The Archdiocese of St. Cloud has released the names of four priests who have had substantiated claims of sexual abuse of minors in the past. A court order issued earlier required the release of the names of all local priests accused of abusing children since 2004.
The Iowa Court of Appeals has ordered a new trial for a Minnesota man who had been convicted of sexual abuse of a girl in Knoxville in 2012.
Ramsey County authorities will not be charging the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis for its handling of the case of a priest who was later convicted of sexually abusing two children.
Former priest Tom Esch believes it was a courageous move for Archbishop John Nienstedt to apologize to parishioners at Our Lady of Grace church last weekend.
A self-proclaimed pastor is charged with raping two girls for years, from the time when one was 6 and continuing into her early teens, court documents show.
A man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest in Granite Falls is suing the Diocese of New Ulm and the Servants of the Paraclete to force the release of their lists of clerics accused of molesting children. The lawsuit filed Thursday alleges the diocese and religious order were negligent.
The Archdiocese of Minneapolis and St. Paul announced a list of 34 priests credibly accused of sexual abuse earlier this week. Critics said more names should have been on that list, that the Archdiocese was forced to release the names and that without a court order they would not have done so.