Sex Offender Program
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said Wednesday the state will appeal a federal court ruling declaring the state’s sex offender program unconstitutional.
The state of Minnesota is indicating it will appeal a federal court ruling last week that declared the state’s sex offender treatment program unconstitutional.
A federal judge is scheduled to rule Wednesday on the constitutionality of Minnesota’s sex offender program. Sex offenders sued the state in 2011 because almost no one has been discharged.
Minnesota lawmakers have been on notice for 16 months: Fix what a federal judge called a “draconian” and “clearly broken” sex offender treatment program or risk seeing it thrown out entirely.
A federal judge plans to rule next week on a constitutional challenge to the Minnesota Sex Offender Program.
More than 700 civilly committed sex offenders are suing the state of Minnesota, arguing the program keeping them locked up is unconstitutional.
Limited funding has kept state officials from making broad changes to Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program, the state’s human services commissioner testified Friday in a federal lawsuit over the program’s constitutionality.
Minnesota’s civil commitment program for sex offenders has been under fire for years by people who say it’s unconstitutional because it amounts to a life sentence. A federal judge has pressured state lawmakers to change the program to address concerns, but they have not.
An additional $7.2 million in state funds may help make changes to Minnesota’s controversial treatment program for sex offenders.
A federal judge on Monday denied motions for the immediate release of a man from the state’s sex offender program and the transfer of the only woman in it to a less restrictive facility, but said he will expedite a class-action challenge to the program’s constitutionality and set it for trial later this year.
A federal court proceeding has cleared the way for what will likely be the release of one, and likely more, dangerous sex offenders. The offenders are civilly committed and housed at state facilities in Moose Lake and St. Peter.
Attorneys for a man who was committed to the Minnesota Sex Offender Program for crimes he committed when he was a child say he should be immediately released, and they asked a federal judge on Tuesday to declare his confinement unconstitutional.
The Minnesota Department of Human Services has budgeted $1.8 million for the possible costs of a court-ordered evaluation of the state sex-offender program.
Attorneys for residents of the Minnesota Sex Offender Program asked a federal judge on Wednesday to declare the program unconstitutional, saying that it is more of a prison than a therapeutic center and that it does not provide appropriate treatment to help its nearly 700 clients attain release.
Attorneys for the residents of Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program are arguing that the program doesn’t work and is unconstitutional. Attorney Dan Gustafson says the treatment program is a failure because no one ever gets out.
There are about 700 sex offenders currently being treated in the Minnesota Sex Offender Program. A federal judge has warned the state, that many of them are being detained for longer than they should.
A state task force head says a federal court considering lawsuit challenging the Minnesota Sex Offender Program expects the state to address continuing concerns about its constitutionality.
A federal magistrate has ordered the creation of a task force to come up with less restrictive ways for Minnesota to handle convicted sex offenders.
Authorities are notifying residents of a Golden Valley neighborhood that a predatory offender is moving to the area.
A three-judge panel hears a second day of testimony Friday on whether a man committed to Minnesota’s sex offender treatment program is ready for more freedom.
The Minnesota Sex Offender Program is looking for an emergency 55-bed expansion as it fills up with sex offenders committed to treatment by the courts after serving prison time.