The landmark clergy abuse settlement announced Monday buoyed hopes for reform in Minnesota’s Catholic church, but it leaves unanswered questions about what comes next for survivors, church finances and future transparency. The settlement was the result of a novel lawsuit against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona from nationally prominent clergy abuse attorney Jeff Anderson.
Kesha and her mentor and producer filed dueling lawsuits Tuesday over the pop singer’s claims she was subjected to nearly a decade of sexual and emotional abuse.
A 62-year-old Maplewood man and self-proclaimed pastor was sentenced Thursday to 12 years in prison for raping two young girls for almost a decade. Jacoby Kindred was convicted on two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, and was given consecutive sentences of 144 months for each.
The Diocese of Winona released details Monday about 14 priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children, calling their decision an effort to be transparent and promote healing. The information shows when church officials first learned of allegations against each priest. And, it shows that some clergy were allowed to remain in ministry for years, even decades, after those allegations came to light.
A videotaped deposition of a former Minnesota priest shows him calmly describing graphic sexual encounters with at least ten boys. The deposition of former priest Thomas Adamson is the latest in a series released as the result of a lawsuit against him by a man who says he was abused as a boy in the mid-70s.
Attorneys for victims of alleged sexual abuse by clergy are asking a judge in St. Paul to order church officials to turn over electronic data on accused priests — such as emails, texts and data on hard drives.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has added five names to its list of priests and religious brothers with substantiated claims of abuse against them. The names include three priests and two brothers who served in the archdiocese. All are deceased. In all cases, the abuse happened over 25 years ago.
The Stearns County Sheriff’s Office is investigating whether two men in prison for murder may have been involved with the abduction of Jacob Wetterling. Delbert and Tim Huber of Paynesville – who are father and son – murdered Albertville teacher Tim Larson in a dispute over $50 in 2011.
A southern Minnesota boarding school faces a third lawsuit alleging that the school knew a former teacher was sexually abusing male students but took no action. Attorneys for a former student filed the lawsuit Tuesday against Shattuck-St. Mary’s school in Faribault.
Attorneys for victims of alleged sexual abuse by priests have released the deposition of Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt to the public.
Prosecutors say they want St. Paul Police to reopen a sexual abuse case against Archbishop John Nienstedt, but not because of any new evidence. The Ramsey County Attorney’s office told WCCO that it doesn’t want reports from the Nienstedt case being made public yet because of other elements that need to be investigated. They say those other elements don’t have anything to do with the archbishop.
A judge has denied an attempt by lawyers for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis to block a court order requiring the archbishop to testify about how the church handled clergy sexual abuse and release the names of all local priests accused of abusing children since 2004.
The Iowa Court of Appeals has ordered a new trial for a Minnesota man who had been convicted of sexual abuse of a girl in Knoxville in 2012.
The lead prosecutor in St. Louis County says the Diocese of Duluth should have gone to police immediately after learning a priest was accused of sexually abusing a child. County Attorney Mark Rubin says the diocese waited 15 months before notifying authorities that the Rev. Cornelius Kelleher was accused of abusing a girl years ago.
A former priest, accused of molesting two children decades ago, has been suspended from teaching sex education for Wright County. The county board recently canceled their contract with 79-year-old Harry Walsh. Walsh was one of five priests named in an internal archdiocese memo about parishes with “some connection to a history of clergy sexual abuse.”