The Diocese of Duluth and law enforcement documents say a priest in northern Minnesota has been arrested on allegations of sexual misconduct involving a minor.
Three separate incidents of sexual misconduct occurred within two hours of each other, just outside of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus Monday afternoon. According to a crime alert from the University, the victims in all three instances were walking on the sidewalk when the suspect approached them from behind and groped them.
An attorney has released the names of 17 clergy members accused of sexual abuse or misconduct with a minor in the Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis. St. Paul lawyer Jeff Anderson said Wednesday the clergy were identified in notice of claims submitted to the archdiocese and its insurance carriers.
Criminal charges have been dropped against the former principal and assistant principal of a St. Paul school who were accused of failing to report a custodian’s alleged sexual misconduct against a student.
A former teacher and coach at Willmar Senior High School is accused of sexual misconduct involving a student several years ago.
A Minnesota prosecutor says he won’t file criminal charges in seven cases of alleged sexual misconduct involving eight Catholic priests, but St. Paul police are investigating three other cases. Ramsey County Attorney John Choi says that one of the three still under investigation is likely to lead to prosecution, without giving details.
The fallout continues Wednesday over the news that Archbishop John Nienstedt is under investigation for sexual misconduct. While the archbishop denies the allegations, the Twin Cities Archdiocese says it has hired an outside firm to investigate the claims.
The Minnesota Court of Appeals on Monday reversed a sexual misconduct conviction and ordered a new trial for a St. Paul priest accused of having sex with a woman who was seeking his spiritual advice. The 22-page ruling said the lower court made several errors during Christopher Wenthe’s trial. Wenthe was convicted in 2011 of third-degree criminal sexual conduct after a woman reported the sexual conduct.
A teenage boy who was molested by the Rev. Curtis Wehmeyer from 2008 through 2011 sued the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday, alleging it conspired to protect the priest from criminal prosecution and conceal his history of sexual misconduct from the public. The lawsuit comes one day after Ramsey County prosecutors said they wouldn’t charge members of the archdiocese for the way they handled allegations against Wehmeyer because there was insufficient evidence to prove anyone failed to immediately report the abuse. Wehmeyer pleaded guilty in 2012 and is serving a five-year prison sentence.
Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt acknowledged Thursday that “serious mistakes” have been made in how he’s handled allegations of clergy sexual misconduct. It’s his strongest wording yet over the ongoing scandal rocking the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
The former church employee who went public with claims that archdiocese leaders in St. Paul mishandled allegations of clergy sexual misconduct still feels like she didn’t do enough. Jennifer Haselberger says that as early as 2008, she had been warning church leaders about troubled priests in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
A high profile priest has abruptly taken a “voluntary and temporary leave of absence” the day before a sexual misconduct lawsuit is expected to be filed against him.
Thousands of people showed up before sunrise for a day-long celebration of Catholicism in the Twin Cities Saturday. The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis hosted the “2013 Rediscover” event at the RiverCentre in St. Paul, described as a celebration of “the depth and beauty” of the Catholic faith. The event, headlined by Archbishop John Nienstedt, was held in the midst of controversy after a priest pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct, child pornography was discovered on a reverend’s laptop and the diocese announced they were creating a taskforce to investigate the way church officials handled accusations.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is creating an independent task force to investigate the way church officials have handled accusations of priest misconduct, after one pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct last year and another was recently accused of having child pornography.
A jury has convicted a Roman Catholic priest of sexual misconduct involving a woman he was counseling at a St. Paul church.
A Puerto Rican man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest affiliated with a Minnesota abbey filed a lawsuit Monday against his alleged abuser and the religious order that runs the abbey.
St. John’s Abbey and the survivors of sexual misconduct by current and former abbey members have reached an agreement about the distribution of a letter signed by two survivors and Abbot John Klassen.
A 37 year old Rockford man is being held in jail and is scheduled for a court appearance Monday on charges of criminal sexual conduct.