St. John’s Abbey
A Minnesota man has settled a lawsuit with St. John’s Abbey that will force the release of personnel files for 19 monks accused of sexually abusing minors, attorneys said Monday.
Attorneys say they have reached a settlement with St. John’s Abbey that will force the release of personnel files for 19 monks accused of abuse.
St. John’s Abbey published the names Monday of 18 current and former monks it says likely have sexually abused minors, but victims’ advocates say the list is incomplete and years overdue. The list was posted on the abbey’s website less than a month after a lawsuit was filed requesting disclosure of the names of monks accused of sexual misconduct. It also comes a week after a Ramsey County judge ordered the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona to release similar lists. “This list reflects our best efforts to identify those who likely have offended against minors,” Brother Aelred Senna, the abbey spokesman, said in a statement.
A Minnesota man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest from 1989 through 1992 sued the Twin Cities archdiocese, St. John’s Abbey and a center that treats clergy with psychological issues on Tuesday.
Who makes the best maple syrup in Minnesota? WCCO viewers chose their favorite — St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville, Minn., where monks have been tapping trees since World War II.
A 31-year-old Cold Spring police officer who was known as a hometown boy and the department jokester will be laid to rest Wednesday.
Of the thousands who braved the cold Tuesday evening in Cold Spring, there were many who had never met Officer Tom Decker, who died last week in what authorities called a surprise attack.
A spokesman for St. John’s Abbey says he can’t address the central claim in a new lawsuit accusing abbey officials of allowing a member to continue teaching long after he was accused of sexual abuse.
The attorneys representing St. John’s Abbey are asking a judge to keep secret any documents or evidence that they turn over in a clergy sex-abuse lawsuit regarding Rev. Francisco Schulte.
A New York man filed a lawsuit Tuesday alleging that he was sexually abused at a Bronx church in the 1960s by a priest who went on to become abbot of a Minnesota monastery and helped found an institute to deal with clergy sexual abuse.
A Puerto Rican man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest affiliated with a Minnesota abbey filed a lawsuit Monday against his alleged abuser and the religious order that runs the abbey.
Earlier this month, St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville mailed letters to thousands of St. John’s Prep School alumni saying over a period of more than 40 years, 17 monks had “credible allegations of sexual abuse brought against them.”
Nine men who filed lawsuits claiming sexual abuse at the hands of monks or priests have reached settlements with St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville, the plaintiffs’ attorney said Monday.