This week, as network television crews descended on the Twin Cities to report on the still unconfirmed Minnesota connection to the Kenyan mall attack, young Somalis, most of them American citizens, felt they were being seen, just because of their ethnicity, as supporters of the terror group al-Shabaab.
Local Somali leader Abdirizak Bihi will lead an anti-al-Shabaab rally at 2 p.m. Friday at the Brian Coyle Center, sharing the Somali community’s detest for the terrorist group that preys on, and recruits young Somali-Americans in the Twin Cities.
The FBI is investigating to see if Minnesotans and Americans were involved in the terrorist attack at a Kenya mall. But so far FBI Agent Kyle Loven said there is no specific evidence that Minnesotans were part of the attack.
In an interview with PBS NewsHour, Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamad told Margaret Warner about the Minnesota connection with attackers involved in the Kenyan mall attack. Mohamad confirmed that “two or three Americans” and “one Brit” were involved. “From the information we have, [they] are young men about…between maybe 18 and 19…of Somali origin or Arab origin,” Mohamad said. “[They] lived in the U.S. in Minnesota and one other place.” Members of the Twin Cities’ Somali-American community were already concerned when unconfirmed reports of attackers being from Minnesota surfaced on Sunday.
A federal magistrate is recommending that statements made by a western Minnesota man be allowed at his trial on weapons charges. U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeanne Graham recommended Thursday that the judge deny Buford “Bucky” Rogers’ request to suppress Rogers’ statements and evidence gathered in a raid on his father’s mobile home outside Montevideo.
That is the question everyone wants to know when it comes to the Boston bombing suspects.
Hennepin County Judge Jay Quam of Eden Prairie joined Dave Lee on the WCCO Morning News and recounted his story from the Boston Marathon yesterday.
A Minnesota man who pleaded guilty last year to helping young Somalis leave Minnesota and return to their homeland to fight with the terror group al-Shabab must stay in custody until his sentencing.
One of two Minnesota women accused of funneling money to a terrorist group in Somalia allegedly told potential donors to ignore charities and focus on “the jihad” and helped finance local Somali men’s travel to their war-torn homeland to fight, prosecutors alleged in court filings.
A U.S. court hearing is scheduled to resume for a Somali man accused of helping finance fighters for the terror group al-Shabab.
A Minnesota man has pleaded guilty to a terror-related charge for helping recruit men to travel to Somalia to take up arms with the terror group al-Shabab.