Family and friends of a Minnesota man are hoping reports that he died fighting with ISIS in Somalia are wrong. On Thursday, the State Department said they could not confirm news and social media reports that a second Minnesotan — Abdiramaan Muhumud — also died fighting for ISIS.
Douglas McCain was not the first Minnesotan radicalized and recruited to fight in a foreign land. In recent years, Minnesota has become a place where terrorist organizations recruit young people to fight jihad.
Douglas McAuthur McCain, an American killed in Syria while fighting alongside the Islamic State, was part of a growing number of foreign fighters recruited to fight alongside terror groups.
The State Department has confirmed that a man who grew up in Minnesota has died while fighting for a terrorist group overseas. Douglas McCain, a 33-year-old man who grew up in New Hope, died over the weekend in Syria. Officials said they believe he was killed while fighting for the terrorist group ISIS.
In 2008, Abdurizak Bihi’s 17-year-old nephew left his home in Minneapolis for terrorist group Al-Shabaab in Somalia. In 2009, the teenager was killed.
Highlights from Friday’s Show can be heard by CLICKING THE LINK ABOVE.
A former Minnesota woman who lied to a grand jury about raising money for men who left the state to join a terrorist group in Somalia was sentenced Wednesday to three years of probation and ordered to perform community service. Saynab Hussein, 24, of Nashville, Tennessee, showed remorse during Wednesday’s sentencing hearing in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis.
A Waseca, Minn. teenager has been charged with attempted murder, possessing explosives, and attempting to damage property after allegedly planting a number of devices at a school playground.
Acting on a perceived threat to blow up a west-central Minnesota police station, dozens of FBI agents and other law enforcement officers converged on a Montevideo trailer park last year and arrested a man who belonged to a tiny local militia. Authorities found a cache of weapons in the May 3 search — including Molotov cocktails, suspected pipe bombs and firearms — and the FBI said at the time that it had thwarted a terror attack in its planning stages.
Listen to what this member of the MIRACLE ON ICE team thinks of U.S. HOCKEY and his son Ryan…..Bob Suter talks with Dave Lee….Click the link to hear the podcast.
A Minnesota militia member facing weapons charges in what the FBI once called a “terror plot” is expected to plead guilty. Twenty-five-year-old Buford Braden Rogers was scheduled to go on trial next week on four counts, including charges related to possessing Molotov cocktails. Instead, a change of plea hearing is now set for Friday.
A Minnesota man charged in what the FBI has called a terror plot allegedly told authorities in May that he was not violent, and was using the Internet to investigate “bad” people. Twenty-five-year-old Buford Rogers is scheduled to go on trial next month on four counts, including possessing Molotov cocktails. He’s not charged with terrorism. Rogers made the comments in an FBI interview after he was arrested in May. A redacted transcript was unsealed Friday.
It’s been two days since reports surfaced that al-Shabaab released the names of the Nairobi mall attackers on Twitter. Two of the names listed were from Minnesota, but questions still remain.
The Twin Cities Somali community is wondering whether two of its own are involved in the Kenyan mall attack that killed 62 people. There have been reports that two of the attackers are from the Twin Cities.
The Daily Beast put together an amazing collection of iconic photos from NYC on 9/11. Take a look and share your memories of that day on our Facebook page.