I got zero Christmas cards at my house yesterday. Zero. I’ve been getting a bunch this year (although most are of the photo card variety), but it seems like I’m getting fewer than I have in the past.

So, are people still sending Christmas cards? Is Facebook and the internet killing them?

Bob Collins write about this in his MPR NewsCut blog, and I thought – this would make a great Good Question. According to the Chicago Tribune, the percentage of us sending Christmas cards has been dropping for years.

We’re checking with the Postal Service to see if they’ve seen a decrease in First Class mail. But what say you? Is this an age thing, where it’s the under-30 set not sending out cards? What are you seeing?

I’ll use your comments in my story tonight at 10!

Comments (16)
  1. Patrick says:

The internet and technology are making us a non-verbal, no personal interaction society of drones. We are all tethered or becoming tethered to some electronic devise. I laugh as I write this by the way, you see my iPhone just buzzed indicating I have a new email, must get it now!

2. Jana says:

I am 26 and my family has sent Christmas (photo) cards for the past three years. Almost all of my friends that have kids do the same thing. However, one of my friends put a post on Facebook saying she would not be sending cards this year as a cost-savings measure. Instead, she posted a note on FB that outlined what happened during the year and also a few pictures. I personally like getting the Christmas cards in the mail, but I was able to see the social networking value of putting it on FB. People respond, make comments, ask questions, etc… and that usually doesn’t happen with the traditional Christmas card. (Although, I should mention: I did get a couple comments on FB from friends thanking me for the Christmas card they received in the mail.)

3. Marilyn M says:

I’ve found I send them only to those close folks out of town. So maybe less than 10. Used to send out 3x as many. partly, stamps have gotten too expensive. I did go online and find a fun cute Christmas internet card and sent it to everyone in my contact list however. (I’m 55 by the way).

4. Glenda D. says:

I’ve sent Christmas cards for almost ten years now and have recently begun adding a ‘newsletter’ to ours. We use Christmas cards to help us keep in touch with family and friends that we might not have seen as often as we’d like during the year. Since we live so far away from the bulk of our families, the picture card and letter help keep everyone in touch with what is going on with us, specifically our kids. I have definitely noticed a decrease in the number of cards I’ve received over the years, however.

5. Scott Funk says:

Honestly, I don’t care what form the sentiment comes from. I’m just glad to get a card; whatever medium that card takes is fine by me!

6. Carri Musil says:

We still enjoy sending out Christmas cards every year, sending out about 50. I have certainly noticed however, that we get fewer cards each year. I think that besides the cost daving aspect of skipping the card sending, the other reason people may not be sending out as many cards is that Facebook and the internet keep us far more connected all year long. I know that I enjoy “talking” via FB with people I would in the past just have connected with over the holidays.

7. Lou says:

I agree that I stay connected more with people I normally only saw on holidays via FB, but it’s not Christmas without sending out Christmas cards! It’s an excuse to send out a picture of the family without seeming to brag about us. I also run to the mailbox to see how many cards I get back! I have been a little disappointed over the past years, as I receive fewer and fewer, but I’m still sending them away…sent out over 70 this year! I do think the traditional card is getting outdated, and photo cards are the new thing! I’m 22 by the way!

8. Cynthia says:

I’ve actually found that the internet has encouraged me to send out paper holiday cards. There are a lot of websites out there that will allow you to create a card using your own photos. These cards are typically printed on nice paper and look very professional. It’s something that hasn’t historically been available without going to a printer and paying an arm and a leg. Sure, it would be easier to just send e-cards, but I think that they’re a tad impersonal.

9. Dave Stinson says:

We have sent out just over 100 Christmas newsletters each of the past five years, and prior to that it was a little less. I can see the advantage of not sending them out as we spend around $150 each year to print the full color newsletters and get them mailed. We have noticed we don’t get as many in return. We really enjoy sending them out however, and have actually saved copies from almost every year going back to 1992. We have made three ring binder books of our Christmas letters which now serve as a sort of family history, and we plan on giving each of our children a copy so they have a written history of their lives.

10. Joyce says:

I prefer the “old fashion” tradition of receiving Christmas cards
    in the mail but
    those of us who are unemployed or underemployed
    and no longer able to collect any benefits or find FT employment to support
    ourselves and our family,
    have no choice….. we need to spend every extra penny on necessities…..

11. Mindy says:

I never sent christmas cards before but i think with the loss of a loved on this year and people at a low with the economy my fiance and i made a point to send them out. People need some cheer this year, and nothing is more exciting than getting mail. It just isnt the same getting an email!

12. Bruce says:

I think people who sent out emails for christmas, birthdays, weddings, etc..are really cheap. Come on,, fork out a few pennies for stamps and send something more personable than just a cheap email. People that recieve a letter or card in the mail still appreciate it much more than just email.I send out emails only to people that I know that have busy lives and no time to talk much on the phone. Unless it’s something urgent. Lets start sending more letters out to teach our kids how to be social with each other by traditional hand written letters. Gosh, do they still teach our kids how to write with a pen?

13. Sandy Morgan says:

The “real”, postal greeting card is not dead. In fact, the number of mailed greeting cards is growing, thanks to Send Out Cards! Yes, its Internet based but the cards arrive in the mail. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighborhoodvalleywest/50872680-129/cards-card-company-green.html.csp?page=1

14. Mary says:

Nothing like the real thing, and I send more than ever and receive more cards than ever because of convenience mostly. Cost less than $1. plus stamp and IU Don’t have to buy them or lick the stamp, its done for me, And I can include those great digital pictures all over the cards and even add a gift, The best is they will pay me to use it and show others how to use it. Its all at http://www.sendoutcards.com/2253

15. Jay Bergers III says:

I sent out 186 Real Greeting Cards on recycled paper thanks to Send Out Cards!
    And they were in my own handwriting with lots of photos! People just love them!
    The best marriage of “high tech mets high touch”
    And the best business model out there!

16. actuactpretly says:

Herzlich Willkommen in unseren Sex-Community.

Der Sex-Community gibt ihnen eine Möglichkeit alte omas nackt und jedemenge andere Sachen,sicherlich auch erotische Rollenspiele
    Hier in unsrem Sex-Community erwarten dich alte omas nackt sexuellen Vorlieben
    Suchst du eventuel sexuellen Vorlieben , dann bist du hier genau richtig.Also,auf was wartest du?
    Heiße Live Chats schöne mädels ,einfach anmelden .
    Du suchst jemand von Neuenburg, oder in Osnabrück, vieleicht von Cottbus , oder von Spiez, oder von Ansfelden? Sicher kein Problem.!