INTERNATIONAL FALLS, Minn. (AP) — Fire investigators say a 70-year-old man’s death while smoking led to a fire at an International Falls motel.

Police say Runo Korpi died from medical complications at the Budget Host Inn. A cigarette Korpi was smoking then ignited the room.

KQDS-TV reports the International Falls fire chief says Korpi’s body was found on the floor between his bed and a chair.

Hotel guests reported the fire just after 3:40 a.m. Tuesday. Several guests were evacuated safety and sent to another hotel to stay.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Watch & Listen LIVE