MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — A man who carried out a suicide bomb attack at a peacekeepers’ base in Mogadishu this week was a Somali-American from Minnesota, the militant group al-Shabab said Thursday.

The group identified Abdullahi Ahmed, 25, of Minneapolis as the man who bombed the African Union base in the Somalia capital on Monday. The attack killed two AU troops and one government soldier. In a report on its website, al-Shabab said Ahmed moved to Somalia from Minneapolis two years ago.

The report purported to quote Ahmed before his death saying that he wanted to carry out the attack because of abuses by Christians in Muslim countries.

If the report is confirmed, Ahmed would become at least the third Somali-American to have carried out a suicide bombing in Somalia.

Somali Islamic insurgents — some with links to al-Qaida — have been recruiting young Somali men in America and other countries, raising fears that the recruits could be trained up to attack foreign targets.

The first known American suicide bomber in Somalia, Shirwa Ahmed from Minneapolis, blew himself up in October 2008 in the northern breakaway republic of Somaliland as part of a series of coordinated explosions that killed 21 people.

In September 2009, insurgents including an 18-year-old from Seattle, drove two stolen U.N. cars into an AU base and detonated them. Twenty-one people were killed.

At least 20 Somali-Americans are believed to have joined al-Shabab. U.S. authorities have warned that a Somali-American who seeks training from al-Shabab could return to the United States to carry out an attack.

Comments (60)
  1. factdealer says:

Congrats Minnesota welfare system you contributed to this incident, by supporting this non-human with assistance, nicely played.

1. jeff says:

congrats to you for blaming the wrong system. it’s the churches who are bringing these people over here. and they don’t get cars and money and go on welfare as they enter the country. many are going to school and getting an education so that they can make something with their lives.

in regards to the story, i’m just greatful that he did it over there and not here. but how long is it going to be, with our open society, before that kind of thing becomes rountine in this country. a scary thought.

1. factdealer says:

Jeff are you joking you are 1 of the most racist people on here yet you pump your chest defending somalis, are you married to 1? what a hypocrite, your opinions know mean nothing forever!

2. Ven says:

Wrong – how about ugly, hateful, covert/MNice/, people who treat all minorites, regardless or religion, education, socioeconomic status, like they are ‘welfare’ or don’t belong here? Ever think about how one treat others that could cause a swelling of hatred inside of them? In no way is this condoned or rationalize blowing innocent people up, or anyone for that matter. But if everyone would take a moment to leave their hate at the door, we might read far less stories like this.

1. Paul says:

Forget about your statement reguarding Minnesota nice. Look at the facts. The churches bring them in and quite a few are terrorists. If you feel picked on leave the state.

2. Auntie Venom says:

You obviously know nothing of Somali or Islamic culture. Niceness to them is a weakness to be exploited. You and the Churchies who bring them here are the problem, and with out your sort, we might read far fewer stories like this.

1. Jim says:

Auntie, you hate Somalis. We get it. You’re a bigot. You’ve proven your point.

1. Auntie Venom says:

I don’t hate Somalis, or any one that comes to America to better themselves, not perpetuate the mess they came from. If that makes me a bigot then I stand guilty. I can field that Alinskyite pie.

1. Jim says:

You can say you don’t, but the proof is in your posts:

“Islam means submission in Arabic, and the peace found therein is the peace of subsuming yourself to a totalitarian, gender and spiritual apartheiding political ideology.”

“Niceness to them is a weakness to be exploited.”

Lumping huge groups of people in this manner into tidy little definitions that make you feel better about your life is ignorant and bigoted. Sorry.

Help me out. What the heck does this mean?: “I can field that Alinskyite pie.”

1. Auntie Venom says:

Jim,you are generalizing. I have never met Ayaan Hirsi Al, but I’m sure I’d like her. And she’s (wait for it)…Somali. The above quotes from my earlier post are taken from Ms. Ali, and others…who have lived in and under Islam. Have you ever really read the Qur’an, the Ahadith or The Reliance Of The Traveler? Do you have an understanding of the texts, tenants and atmospherics of an Islamic society? If you have and do, you’re disingenuous. If you haven’t read them all, get thee to a library.

ps ~ Saul Alinsky’s Rules For Radicals, chapter 7, sub. 5. on ridicule, name calling, pie throwing. You Jim, seem to forget chapter 7, sub. 7. Get with it, Dude!

1. Jim says:

I’m generalizing? Ha ha, that’s rich. I don’t know who Ayaan Hirsi Al is. This person is not mentioned in the story, but you say you’re quoting her? If you are quoting someone, you should use quote marks. It’s disingenuous not to.

I have not read those texts and I have no intention to. Most religions have violent aspects that can be picked out and used by people like yourself with an agenda. I know that no matter what those books say, not all Muslims are part of a “totalitarian, gender and spiritual apartheiding political ideology.” That’s patently absurd. There are Islamic societies all around the world, in almost every country on earth. To assume that they all adhere to the same “tenants and atmospherics” is ignorant.

Rules for Radicals, another book I have not read and have no interest in. I hear a lot about it, though, from people who hate our president. You seem to be implying that I say you’re a bigot simply as a tactic I learned from some rule book. Ridiculous. I’m not calling names, just pointing out the facts as I see them, and in my opinion you are intolerant.

2. Jim says:

Before anyone says anything else, Islam is a religion of peace. And Factdealer you are racist for assuming they are using the minnesota welfare system.

1. dan says:

Isnt racism based on someone race? Are you implying that someone is racist because they assume someone is on Welfare?

1. James says:

Factdealer assumes they are on welfare because they are from Somalia. So maybe not racism, per se, because we’re talking about a country and not a race, but certainly bigotry.

1. Phid says:

So then what would it be called if people assume that Wall Street executives or corporations which make a lot of money on Wall Street are “greedy”? It seems like we hear that all the time – “greedy corporations”, etc. Is that “bigotry” as well?

1. James says:

Come on Phid. Do you have a dictionary? I know your internet is working.

bigotry = stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one’s own

So if someone assumes all Wall Street execs are greedy, and will not hear any evidence to the contrary, and is hostile to any differing opinion, then yes, it’s bigotry.

Why did I have to look that up for you?

2. mohammad says:

right, so peaceful

3. Auntie Venom says:

Oww, oww oww! Hot coffee out the nose. a ROP ~ You’re funnier than George Carlin, and as inane as Carrot Top. Islam means submission in Arabic, and the peace found therein is the peace of subsuming yourself to a totalitarian, gender and spiritual apartheiding political ideology. Or the peace of the grave if one doesn’t submit.

4. Auntie Venom says:

And if we say it isn’t, what then? You’ll Pym Fortuyn, Theo VanGogh, Daniel Pearl, Amina Said us?

5. markH says:

Jim- Being something of an authority on Islam (its history, origin, foundational texts, and claims) I can tell you without hesitation and on its own evidence that Islam is most certainly NOT a religion of peace. Those who subscribe to this belief system and maintain a peaceful demeanor are simply ignoring the hateful, violent, and vengeful mandates of the hadith and Q’uran. We see this phenomenon amongst the Christian faithful as well; what Christian believes it moral to stone those who work on Sunday? To the extent to which people of faith are peaceful and law-abiding, we can thank science and secular politics-NOT the religion. Peace.

3. Matt says:

Jim-Factdealer said nothing of Race, the first person to bring Race into this was you.

1. Jim says:

Factdealer’s racist comments have been deleted, as have many others. Welcome to the internet.

4. how bad isit says:

I don’t care what you all call it. They get 7 years tax free. I don’t like them. They smell bad, and they are rude people. Call me whatever you want, but I didn’t ask for them to come here, and I certainly don’t approve of it.

1. bob says:

I agree with you. I don’t like you either….I never approved of you coming to this country either. So go back to your old country.

2. Max says:

Funny how history repeats itself. 100-150 years ago, many people in the US were saying similar things about the huge numbers of German, Polish, Italian, Jewish, Norwegian and Swedish immigrants coming to our shores. I wonder if your ancestors may have been among those immigrants.

1. Joe says:

Except 100-15- years ago we didn’t supply them with free housing, food, education, health care period, they worked and adapted to “Our” system and not tried to shove “their” systems down our throats.

1. Jim says:

No Somali has ever tried to shove anything down my throat. Sounds like a personal problem. Where do you hang out that this happens to you?

1. @Jim says:

Jim do you breathe on your own? Do you think Somalis come here pennyless and star anew? They are given many government assistance oppurtunites, wake up geez i hope you don’t have a family.

1. Jim says:

Yes, I breath just fine. I would assume that most Somalis that come here are penniless or close to it, yes. And yes, I assume they take advantage of government assistance programs. Yes, I do have a family.

Not sure what your point is, if you have one. What system are Somalis trying to shove down your throat?

2. Porky Pig says:

Is that why Somali cab drivers won’t pick up people with seeing-eye dogs or have alcohol at the MSP airport or Muslim Cashiers won’t touch pork at target where you been at Jimmy Boy?

5. Land pirates and sea pirates, both is pirates says:

Aye matey, he shouldda been made ta walk the plank.

6. Sam I am says:

This is NOT a peaceful religion. Islam is a way of life and that is for the destructino of anyone who is not a Muslim. And yes they do get welfare, housing, foodstamps and every other government handout, reproduce like rabbits and turn around and hate America.

They need to go back now. They are not wanted here.

7. Diversity Is Great says:

You are insane! The Somali’s first came over via charity groups and churches. Now they come by word of mouth. When they get here they are taught how to use the Welfare system. Have you not seen the Mpls high rises? They are all Somalians now, it rent is free. They are flooding all educational systems from kindergarten to college, and you are paying for it all! I have Supervised hundreds of Somalians. We now have Somali Gang Units to combat Somali gang violence and humnan trafficing. Somali gangs were involved in the shootings this past Sunday. I wathced a weekly Somali TV show on MNPTV last month. The Somali woman was interviewing various Somalians. When asked why they came to MN nearly all stated because everything is free. And nearly all stated that they had heard of MN and the free way of life by word of mouth in Somalia. She stated that the largest problem the Somalians have is not working and getting everything for nothing. Even the Somali Community gets it. It too bad that the tight butted, self serving idiots who keep bringing more and more immigrants to MN dont get it. Good God go to any mall on a Friday night and search for someone who speaks english…..you will be surprised. You all sat back while wave after wave of immigrants came to MN. Now we are broke ane the Somali and Mexican Communities choke the legal system with law suits. The state had to open a Human Rights Office in St Cloud (now 25% Somali), just to deal with all the human right violations that the Somali’s claim. Ask any cop how the whole diversity thing is working out, they will laugh and walk away. MN is now ranked 2nd in immigration, California is #1. Our housing market is one of the worst in the US. Why? Huge numbers of low priced homes in foreclosure. You know those who should have never gotten a home in the first place. Oh well…..strap on your seat belt and enjoy the ride……and when your neighborhood is taken over with diversity dont come crying to me! Remember….celebrate Diversity! Embrace it! Or they will slap you with a Federal Hate Crime! Or a Human Rights investigation! Minnesomalia….land of 10,000 hand outs and a shrinking white community.

1. Max says:

Your post is so full of distortion, misinformation and fear-mongering, you should consider applying for a job as speech writer to Michelle Bachmann.

1. Diversity Is Great says:

No. It is not distortion, misinformation or fear mongering. You are part of the problem. Open your eyes….put down the kool aid……..and educate yourslef. I have to educate myself because I work with the immigrants you love. Now go back to the capital and protest those evil Republicans. Moron…

1. James says:

Diversity, you seem very angry. Did you lose your job to an immigrant or something? Maybe you should go back to school or try to improve yourself in some other way instead of whining about people who look different than you on the internet. Open your eyes…educate yourself…turn off Fox News…it’s a beautiful day out there for people who aren’t blinded by hate.

1. Diversity Is Great says:

I am angry James. But I can not afford to go back to school. See I have to work for a living. I am not an immigrant that gets everything for nothing. And fox news babes rock……much better than MSNBC and that Rachel Madcow man/girl…..Feel free to look into any of my above statements……if you find anything not true……I will vote for Obami next time……I love that so many share my feelings……we are growing….and the glitter throwing liberals….after their self induced casturations…..will get it when they wake up and find their neighborhood taken over by Somalians………everyone loves “diversity” until your in the middle of it……..

1. Jim says:

Lots of people work and go to school at the same time, including many immigrants. Maybe you need to work harder.

I don’t care about the appearance of the people I get news from. Not even a little bit.

What’s a “casturation?”

I already live in a quite diverse neighborhood in Minneapolis and am just fine with it. It helps to be a rational human being and not a fearful “conservative” who sees the boogeyman around every corner.

1. Diversity Is Great says:

Again I state….prove any of my commnets wrong….and I will vote for Obami. Liberals are funny little glitter throwers. They love ignoring the facts and living in their rainbow flag world. I say, if you want them here, you can pay for them, I opt out. And I am 6’4″ and 250 pounds. I fear nothing….especailly glitter queens blowing bs into the air. Come to my Maplewood area and take a walk…..let the Asian and Somali gangs get a piece or your liberal arse…..your views will change instantly…..now go back to your sippy cup and I will keep gathering factual numbers and information on how your bs liberal forced diversity is so good for me.

1. Jim says:

Prove your comments wrong and you’ll vote for Obama? LOL. I’ve got news for you friend, I couldn’t care less who you vote for. I myself did not vote for Obama, so you can drop that lame attempt at a point.

You mention glitter and rainbow flags repeatedly. What are you scared of? Just come out and say what you mean. This story is about Somalians but I can see you’re anxious to add gay people to the discussion.

You’re 6’4″, 250? Congratulations, that’s quite an accomplishment.

Did you post some “factual numbers and information?” I must have missed that. All I see from you is worn out talking points, stupid stereotypes, and fear of people from foreign countries, despite your enormous body.

2. Timmy says:

Very well said. They are worthless pieces of sh$t

8. right on says:

And people wonder why we have such debt in this state. I know there are lots of reasons but ” Diversity ” points out one that is clear. I used to work with a Hmong man, and a very good guy BUT in talking with him he revealed that he is 10 years younger than what his SS has him registered…. WHY ???? he stated that there are no written records to verify his age and he can collect his SS payment 10 years quicker. and this he learn to do by word of mouth while waiting in refugee camp.
    how much of a burden is this going to add to SS system ??

9. trl the alligator says:

….THIS is what happens when churches and whoever and whatever else is responsible for bringing these resource sucking and non conformist foreighners to our country. Religion is the direct cause of most of the worlds problems including ours here in Minnesota with regards to muslims and somalians in particular. Having them come here was the “politically correct” thing to do but in reality is /was a huge mistake. There are far more problems than any benefits associated with allowing the somalians to come here, actually, i cant think of even one positive in having them here. Combine this with Rybacks “sanctuary city” and its no wonder our system is over burdoned. Ryback and the churches have caused far too much damage to our economy and our welfare system and there is no end in sight……Recognize who the real enemy of the people really are, to name a few its the Mayor, the churches, the bleeding hearts, and a system that gives no regard to the fact that this is tax payer money that is being wasted on these undeserving people.,

10. Good Ol Boy says:

“but at least they behave themselves out in public”

Like washing their feet in drinking fountains. The pinnacle of good behavior.

11. factdealer says:

I have a lifetime job and a $900 house payment im safe forever, you immigrant backers just wait you will feel their wrath, and i can’t wait, i live in suburbs im so happy that immis and apes don’t interfere with me being a human being.

1. Jim says:

LOL. Factdealer, this might be the dumbest, most redneck comment I’ve ever read on an internet message board. Congratulations.

12. @Jim says:

Sorry i have a great life not involving mixbreeds, and me and my girls bills equal less than half are income every month, life is good except for government assistance accepters, try being employed

1. Jim says:

“Mixbreeds?” What is that supposed to mean?

You and your girls sound like you’re doing fine. Why are you so worried about “government assistance accepters?” How are they negatively affecting your life? I mean, you make more than double what you pay every month. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good thing going to me. Why so mad?

I have a job. Thanks for the concern.

1. factdealer says:

I mprefer to help people down on their luck, not someone who doesn’t even try to better themselves, listen as long as they act like stray cats and dogs they will keep breeding, which is unacceptable if they can’t afford it.

13. Tire Of Your Racists says:

WCCO will you please stop these racist comments! Just because all six shootings on Sunday involved members of the Black Community……well two of the six shot were Somalians……cant we just imagine that they were Mexican or White….or how about the peace loving hmong….I am so sick of everybody pointing fingers at the Somali and Black Community! Lets just all imagine that the six shootings on Sunday were by Joey and Billy from Minnetonka…….you bunch of racists……shame on you…..

1. Good Ol Boy says:

“cant we just imagine that they were Mexican or White….or how about the peace loving hmong….I am so sick of everybody pointing fingers at the Somali and Black Community! Lets just all imagine that the six shootings on Sunday were by Joey and Billy from Minnetonka”

We’re forced to “IMAGINE” it because it’s the blacks doing most of the shootings. Don’t let facts get in the way of your anti-whitey message.

14. hehehe says:

hahaha SO FUNNY

15. THE HMONG says:

THE HMONG ARE THE ONE WE NEED TO GET AT THEY TAKE ARE JOB AND WOMAN AND AIR.

16. cco lib says:

The unemployment rate in MN is 91%

17. cco lib says:

among Somali’s that is.

18. Rita says:

Once again lets get the fundraiser going — SUITCASES FOR SOMALI’S and send them packing !!!

1. White Community says:

That would be a start…then pack up all the Hmong gangs….and Mexican gangs….and Nigerian gangs…..and Black gangs……and any white gangs if you can find any…..oh lets not forget all the illegals……..we’ll put a boot up there arse…its the American way…!!!!!!

19. fred says:

just a matter of time before the suicide bombings start over here. it`s just the way they roll

20. nautica says:

HMONG- Yup you know it, i took ur wife and pimp ur mother then smoke ur weed… if u got balls…. come see me fresno california……….

21. Sara Minnesota says:

The Somali population in Minnesota has not added anything positive. They are not even trying to blend in with the culture and they want to change everything to their ways. I don’t get it. Why move here then?? Oh yeah, WELFARE. There is no other reason. My husband works as a Dr. and he did not have a racist bone in his body before he had to treat the Somalis who treat him like garbage. He said they won’t care for their own children and come with a laudry list of demands. THEY ARE THE RACIST ones. They hate whites and they hate christians. I don’t have patience for those that are given a chance by good people and do nothing but take advantage and think that they are entitled. Minnesotans better WAKE UP soon. Are there any good people in the bunch? I am sure of it, but the statistics DO NOT LIE. The majority of them are on some sort of assistance and are committing crimes. Despite what they tell you, they are taught to lie… muslims hate christians. STOP THE WELFARE FREE HANDOUTS. NOW!!!!!