MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has issued an air pollution health advisory in effect for the Twin Cities metro area from 12 p.m. through midnight Friday.

The advisory is due elevated levels of ozone that could make it unhealthy for people with respiratory conditions, elderly people and young children. It also could affect those who are outside for extended amounts of time and those who are participating in heavy outdoor exertion.

If you are sensitive to these conditions, you are encouraged to either postpone or reduce vigorous activity or do it in the morning when ozone levels are reduced.

Ozone conditions are magnified in hot and sunny weather, like what the Twin Cities area has experienced recently. Certain pollutants are released from cars, lawn and garden equipment, paints and solvents, refueling stations and other activities that require the use of fuel.

Experts said conserving energy, buying clean renewable power and utilizing other ways of transportation than driving will help reduce your daily contribution to air pollution. During air quality advisories, people are encouraged to postpone or reduce long car trips and engine idling, using gasoline-powered equipment, paint, solvents and burning wood.

Comments (9)
  1. Really? says:

Ozone reduces infrared radiation which causes sunburn so skip the sunscreen today and enjoy the sunsine!

2. Marisa Bohar says:

I’ve never heard of this warning in the twin cities before just because it’s sunny. It’s sunny a lot in the summer, obviously. Weird.

3. Hmmm says:

My daughter is now a freshman, but while she was in elementary school there were several times when the kids were kept in during recess due to low air quality. So I guess it’s something they’ve kept an eye on for years. It has been quite awhile since I’ve seen it come up in the news though.

4. Whaaat!! says:

Hey … I thought the state was shut down… Why is the Minnesota Environmental Protection agency open? Dayton must be concerned there may be some unfettered progress.

5. TW says:

The MPCA is only open to handle issuing advisories and warnings. It’s what they live for. Oh well, I better not mow my yard, someone might not breath OK if I do……me. It’s to hot…..whaaaa

6. Rico Suave says:

What a load of bovine scatology. Everybody hurry up and hide under your bed. I’ll tell you when it’s safe to come out. Trust me.

7. betty says:

Hey Rico….Why did you ditch the Rusty Shackelford title?

8. Mae Joneno says:

Wow you repukes are STUPID. If you think that breathing dirty air is fine, take a deep breath and hold it. The world will be better off.