MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — As strange as it sounds, a Minneapolis family was sure their kitchen remodel made them sick.

Joel and Laura Stonebraker soon found out something much more dangerous was at work. WCCO-TV went along as environmental investigators diagnosed a sick house.

“Well this is our dream kitchen,” Laura Stonebraker said.

You can hear a distinct disappointment in her voice in the room where it all began. As the seasons started to change it was getting harder for the Stonebrakers to stay comfortable.

“Fans are going and windows are always open except for nighttime when we’re sleeping,” she said.

Laura had no idea at the time the weeks that would pass would look more like a detective show you see on TV. But the scene of the crime centered on her home.

It all started this summer, when the Stonebrakers finally had it with their old kitchen.

“I in particular have always wanted a modern kitchen with dishwasher, a garbage disposal,” she said.

After the contractor finished, there were consequences the family didn’t expect.

poisoned remodel Kitchen Remodel Goes Sickeningly Wrong For MN Couple

(credit: CBS)

“I didn’t have the ability to hold a needle steady or the concentration to make it work,” Laura said.

Then it spread to the other people in the house.

“The next thing I noticed was my husband and my children were having nose bleeds,” she said.

Doctors didn’t seem to have any answers, so the Stonebrakers went after the strongest scent, the laminate floor. They ripped it all up.

Still, they were all sick. In just a few days and with just a few tests, environmental investigators were able to get at what was really wrong.

They found a long list of potential problems from dirty air ducts to asbestos. The biggest signs of trouble were in the basement and the backyard.

In the meantime, Laura had to move out after doctors finally found something wrong with her.

“They told me I had elevated levels of carbon monoxide,” she said.

The experts found the Stonebraker’s newer furnace didn’t match their old ducts, the air supply to their home. The water heater didn’t match the exhaust system, so the right amount of outdoor air wasn’t getting in. All of the corrosion on the chimney means it’s not getting a good draw on the combustion fumes, polluting the indoor air.

While this may seem like an extreme case, what was going on inside the Stonebraker’s home is quite common. The Environmental Protection Agency cites indoor air pollution as one of the five biggest health problems in the country.

When new chemicals are introduced, like they were in the Stonebraker’s kitchen remodel, experts said it’s enough to tip the scales.

Charles Lane is the president and CEO of Environmental Processing/EPI Investigations.

“Think of it like a soup with different ingredients as you change the ingredients the whole taste of the soup starts to change. That’s what actually occurred in this home,” Lane said.

So the Stonebrakers will be making repairs away from the kitchen. They’re hoping for a clean bill of health and a closed case.

Environmental investigators said whether you’ve lived in your home for years or if you’re buying a new home, pay attention to the indoor air.

How does air get into your home and how does it get out? Check the furnace and the radiators closely. Also, they said if you are doing a remodel make sure it fits the original scope of the home.

Learn more about indoor air quality at the Environmental Protection Agency web site.

Comments (5)
  1. Mike says:

    A very inexpensive fresh air intake in the mechanical room, where the furnace and water heater are located would have prevented any of the problems this family is suffering. I’ve enclosed a link to check your home for potential problems. http://www.blueflame.org/datasheets/combustair.html

  2. Annoymous says:

    It is too bad that the general contractor was not up to par in figuring this out before hand! I guess it pays to hire an Architect before doing any majoor development! L&L!

  3. SC says:

    I too believe the contractor (s) were not up to par in their knowledge in furnace/water heater replacement and appropriate fresh air intake. Also was very disappointed to not hear any mention of carbon monoxide detectors in the home especially with the current city codes regarding them. Again a story with some information but not all, leaving the listeners with more questions than answers.

  4. Leslie Freppert says:


    Oh my, this rings true for us. My son has been sick since we remodeled. I would like to know how I could have my home tested.

  5. really says:

    Did the contractor that did the Kitchen remodel also replace the Furnace and Hot Water Heater? Probably not, unrelated, but lets blame whoever was the last person who touched it.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Watch & Listen LIVE