ST. CLOUD, Minn. (WCCO) – A 20-year-old St. Cloud man has died from injuries sustained after being punched by an unknown attacker.

READ MORE: If Minneapolis Voters Choose To Replace The Police Department, What Happens Next?

According to St. Cloud Police, Colton Ryan Gleason was in an alleyway between 8th and 9th Avenues South. The victim was walking south with a group of friends when a four-door, mid-to-full-size passenger car, which was driving north up the alley, stopped. One of the occupants got out of the car and punched Gleason.

Kay Kilpatrick was coming home from studying with friends at night when she saw a group of people in the alley.

“We just saw him and was laying there and there were people around him,” Kilpatrick said. “We really didn’t think much of it, and as we were getting out we thought we saw someone on the ground. We went back inside, we came outside and there was a cop car,” Kilpatrick said.

Emergency crews brought him to St. Cloud Hospital, where he later died at approximately 9:15 p.m. Friday evening.

READ MORE: 'Our Hearts Are Broken': Twin Cities Pastor Killed By Driver In Rosemount

Investigators believe that Gleason and his attacker were not acquainted.

John Gleason says his son loved sports. Colton was a graduate of Orono High School, where he was on the soccer team and the kicker on the varsity football team. He also loved water sports, mountain biking and dancing.

Colton was in his third year of college. He last attended Minnesota State University-Mankato and worked in the family business.

Gleason says his son had a great number of friends and touched a lot of lives. The family would like to see justice for Colton.

“I remember seeing two girls that night getting into a cop car so hopefully someone saw it and can of knows a little more in detail,” Kilpatrick said.

MORE NEWS: St. Paul Registered Sex Offender Indicted for Child Pornography

Police say several people may have witnessed the assault and they are looking for them to come forward with information that will lead to an arrest. Call 320-251-1200 if you have any information.