MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A man killed Friday during a struggle with Minneapolis police officers tried to grab an officer’s gun and ultimately died of multiple gunshot wounds, officials said Sunday.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s office identified the man Sunday as 22-year-old Terrance Franklin and noted he had multiple gunshot wounds.

Police say Franklin fled a traffic stop Friday afternoon and broke into a house, where he struggled with officers and a police dog. At one point he tried to grab an officer’s gun, an MP5 submachine gun, according to a department news release. Shots were fired, Franklin was killed and Officers Michael Meath and Ricardo Muro were hit with gunfire.

Meath was released from the hospital Sunday, and Muro was in satisfactory condition, according to an email from Minneapolis police spokeswoman Cyndi Barrington.

Police were still investigating exactly who fired and how many times.

While other officers responded to the scene, police say a motorcyclist struck the rear passenger side of a squad car that had its lights and sirens on at an intersection. Police say the squad was traveling below the speed limit.

The motorcyclist, Ivan Romero, 23, of Minneapolis, died. His female passenger, Joselyn Torrejon, 20, was hospitalized in satisfactory condition Sunday.

“We are doing our best to be transparent and share information as quickly as possible, and I ask for the public’s patience in allowing us the necessary time to thoroughly review and investigate,” Police Chief Janee Harteau said in a statement Saturday night.

Meath, a department veteran of almost 8 years, has received various commendations during his career, including one for wrestling a knife away from an emotionally disturbed man who was threatening family members.

Muro, who’s been with the department for more than 11 years, also has received awards, including a Medal of Commendation in 2008 for entering a house knowing there was an armed gunman inside firing at officers.

Meanwhile at the collision site, about 40 people with about 25 motorcycles gathered Sunday. There also was a memorial nearby with photos, messages and flowers that were resting against a budding tree.

Romero moved to Minnesota from Morales, Mexico ,about eight years ago, family and friends said. He worked at the Franklin Street Bakery for the last two years, they said.

Romero loved the freedom of going on long, 3- or 4-hour rides on his Yamaha bike, said friend Jesus Ramon.

On Sunday, his friends rode to Stillwater to honor Romero and will work to raise money for his family, Ramon said.

“We want to help his family because we know they need it,” Ramon said.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments (5)