MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) — Hundreds of people were forced from a Rogers apartment complex, Sunday morning, after an explosion in a nearby pavilion.READ MORE: Kevin Durant Lifts Nets Over Wolves, 110-105
The incident started around 8:40 a.m. Sunday after a back-up propane generator exploded, shooting flames into the air. Gas continued to leak from the generator, causing several smaller explosions after the initial blast.
A fire then broke out at 13600 Commerce Boulevard, which is an apartment complex called The Preserve at Commerce.
“We do have structural damage to the outside of the complex with windows blown out. We have reports of walls that have moved and shifted,” said Jeff Beahen, the Rogers Police Chief.
Beahen said about 10 units were heavily damaged.READ MORE: How Technology Can Help Police Track Down Stolen Vehicles
All 192 units had to be evacuated. Between 400 and 500 residents were told to go a nearby hotel. MTC buses were also brought in to keep residents and first responders warm.
“This is not the ideal temperature for an event like this,” Beahen said.
Fire Chief Brad Feist said there were no injuries.
A nearby neighborhood was also evacuated as a precaution. Authorities say it could be hours until folks are let back into the building.
The American Red Cross and Salvation Army are helping victims displaced by the explosion.MORE NEWS: Wisconsin's Gov. Tony Evers Vetoes GOP Abortion Bills
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)