MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Authorities say a middle school west of the Twin Cities had to be evacuated Tuesday morning due to a reported bomb threat.

Officials with the Orono School District said a handwritten note containing a bomb threat was found at about 8 a.m. Tuesday at Orono Middle School. The Orono Police Department was notified and immediately sent officers to the area to search the building.

District officials said that because students had already started arriving for the school day, they were immediately relocated to Orono High School. Officials said all students are safe at this time. Most junior and senior students at Orono are at a college fair, which allowed the middle school students to stay at the high school while police K-9 units perform a search. District officials said they are taking the threat seriously.

Middle school students were dismissed for the day at 11:30 a.m. Authorities searched the building and found it was safe. Officials said it intends to resume middle school classes on Wednesday, but parents have been advised to check the school district’s website and social media for updates.

Comments