MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A 23-year-old man faces serious charges after he allegedly tried to attack a Hennepin County deputy with a machete while wearing body armor and a helmet.

According to the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, the incident happened on Dec. 4 at about 12:30 p.m. at the Ling-Inn Motel on the 2300 block of Highway 55.

READ MORE: Scandia Man Charged In Overdose Death Of Chisago County Jail Inmate

Medina Police received a call about a suicidal person at the motel. When they arrived, they encountered a man, who said his son, Donald Kalib John Nichols, was suicidal and had left after the ambulance arrived. He told police that Nichols had talked about “suicide by cop.”

Officers then heard what sounded like a person in the woods and Nichols was soon located standing in thick brush holding a machete knife with both hands. He was holding it in the direction of two police officers.

When officers yelled for him to drop the knife and put his hands up, Nichols refused to comply.

READ MORE: 'We Cannot Let This Be A Tragic, Lost Opportunity': Ben Crump Urges Lawmakers Not To Give Up On George Floyd Justice In Policing Act

Then, a deputy who was approaching Nichols from behind fired a Taser and struck the back of Nichols leg. Nichols then yelled an invective at the deputy, ran toward him and began swinging the machete at him, striking the deputy’s baton and his upper body. The deputy believed Nichols was trying to kill him.

Nichols continued to attack the deputy until he was shot by an officer. He was then taken to an area hospital with unspecified injuries and is now in custody.

On Tuesday, the police department identified the officer involved as Sgt. Jason Nelson, who has worked at the department for 14 years. He has been placed on paid administrative leave.

MORE NEWS: Nurse Sues For Emotional Trauma In 2019 Lake Minnetonka Murder-Suicide

Nichols now faces felony charges of second-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault. If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison for the murder charge and up to 20 years for his assault charge.