MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Former Gopher quarterback Philip Nelson filed a petition to enter a guilty plea Tuesday in the attack that left former Mankato State University linebacker Isaac Kolstad with brain trauma.
According to Nelson’s attorney James D. Fleming, Nelson filed a petition to plea guilty to fifth degree assault, a misdemeanor charge, and have all felonies dropped.
In a statement Nelson said he is saddened by what happened the night of May 11, 2014.
“I still don’t remember what happened that night after I was hit in the head, but I recognize that I let down my family and friends by my actions. I offer my sincere apologies to everyone involved, and I wish Isaac Kolstad the best as he continues in his recovery,” Nelson said in the statement.
Nelson spoke publicly about the incident for the first time with WCCO’s Mike Max on Monday.
A video released in December shows Kolstad approaching Nelson. He appears to take a shot at Nelson, who then falls to the ground.
That’s when officers say Nelson and another man, Trevor Shelley, retaliate.
Last week, a medical examiner concluded that Nelson’s actions did not cause Kolstad’s injuries. The medical examiner said it was the punch thrown by Shelley that caused the worst of Kolstad’s injuries.
A sentencing date for both Nelson and Shelley is pending.