MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A former tennis coach accused of having a sexual relationship with a student has pleaded guilty in Ramsey District Court Wednesday morning, according to the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office.
Daniel Hubbard-Wilson, 27, pleaded guilty to third-degree criminal sexual conduct. As part of a plea agreement, Wilson will also plead guilty to one of the three violations of a no contact order charges against him.READ MORE: How Do U Of M-Developed Apple Varieties Get Their Names?
Requirements of his plea agreement include a one-year jail sentence and 15 years of probation. During probation, he is ordered to stay away from the victim, her school, her home, the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis and the Fred Wells Tennis and Education Center.
Wilson was suspended from Visitation School in Mendota Heights back in September 2014 after allegations arose that he was having inappropriate contact with a female player. He later resigned.
According to court documents, the victim said she first met Hubbard-Wilson in 2012, just before her freshman year of high school at Visitation. In addition to being her school tennis coach, Hubbard-Wilson also became her personal tennis coach.
The original complaint said the “criminal sexual conduct” began in 2013 when the girl was 15-years-old.READ MORE: Demolition Begins On St. Paul's Midway Shopping Center, Heavily Damaged During Unrest
The relationship reportedly escalated after her 16th birthday and continued until her dad confronted her about it this fall.
“The family is pleased that Mr. Wilson has begun to take responsibility for his crimes, but unfortunately, the pain he has inflicted will be felt for the remainder of their lives,” Chris Madel, the family’s attorney, said.
If Wilson fails to comply with the requirements of his plea agreement, he faces 72 months – 6 years – in prison.
Madel said the girl’s family paid Wilson for private tennis lessons approaching $10,000. Wilson has not offered to pay any of that back. A civil suit, filed on behalf of the family late last year, is pending. Included in the suit was a request for the computer Wilson used to communicate with the victim. A forensic expert said Wilson had encryption on it at a level only seen in government.MORE NEWS: Cortez Banks Charged In Crystal Knife Attack; Victims Expected To Survive
Wilson’s sentencing is set for April 16, 2015.