MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — One of the seven Minnesota men charged with trying to join ISIS was in a Minneapolis federal court Friday afternoon.
Abdirahman Daud’s hearing comes as new details come to light about the chilling accusations against another one of the suspects, Mohamed Farah, who government prosecutors say threatened to kill Minnesota-based FBI agents.
Investigators say a conversation recorded by an informant includes Farah saying, “If our backs are against the wall, I’m gonna go kill the one who punks me. You know the one.” Prosecutors say he then named three FBI agents.
Farah and six other men are all accused of trying to fly to Syria to fight with ISIS. Supporters of the suspects say the men were set up by the government.
In documents filed Thursday, prosecutors say the seven men had very detailed plans. They say Daud had text conversations with a terrorist in Syria, and that screen grabs show the terrorists telling Daud to say he was attending a party in Turkey as an alibi.
Prosecutors say the terrorist went on to describe how to get from Turkey to Syria, and even what kind of SIM card to get overseas.
The FBI also says Daud told an informant his family knows he’s going to Syria, but his family isn’t talking.
The mothers of both Daud and Farah attended a meeting Thursday night in St. Paul. They denied knowing about any alleged threats their sons made against FBI agents or contact they may have had with ISIS.
“What I’m asking is justice and fairness for my son, as any individual who was born in the U.S.,” Ayan Mohamed Farah, Mohamed Farah’s mother, said.
She says she has not talked to her son since April 18. She claims he has been in isolation and denied basic human rights while in custody in California.
Abdirahman Daud’s mother, Farhiyo Mohamed, says her son had deep ties to Minnesota before he was arrested. She spoke to WCCO through an interpreter.
“He had a plan to marry, and he had a job for about three weeks,” Farhiyo Mohamed said. “He was very happy with that job.”
Daud and Farah were both arrested in California. Daud pleaded not guilty in Friday’s detention hearing. He was ordered to remain in jail until his next court appearance in July.
Farah is still being held at a federal facility in San Diego. It is unclear when he will be transported to Minnesota.
The five other suspects pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges earlier this week.